Met my new OB today

iVillage Member
Met my new OB today
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 2:25pm

Toady I met Dr. Slack, whom I LOVE. He was very positive about the situation with the baby, told me that he sees miracles every day. He said that his partners are more likely to put me on certain meds that I do not like. He said he does not use Turbutaline (thank God) and we talked about me going on the Nifedipine for preterm labor if my cervix continues to shorten over the next week. He did not feel like he needed to do any checking or anything today. (Yay! I just hate it when providers want to get their fingers in my vag when I am already high risk lol) He was totally on board for handling things as naturally as possible, avoiding hospitalization or meds if I don't absolutely have to have them, and told me he would see me after my next utrasound which is in 8 days. They scheduled my echocardiogram and I am all set to do that on Friday. I have to stay on bed rest but we are not going to do anything else until I have my next ultrasound and we will go from there. He spent an entire half hour with me even though he was running late and answered all my questions. I have gained two lbs since my last appointment but he said that was fine. He said he was okay with me gaining anywhere from 0 lbs to 15 lbs since I started out super heavy. (Yay no one will give me any crap about not gaining weight now except the WIC lady lol). He said that as long as I don't lose weight he will go with the flow. I was actually worried about gaining too much weight and he said that at this point he is not really worried about that since I have barely gained anything since getting pregnant. Whoo hoo! He told me to get a binder to help keep the baby's weight off my poor dysfunctional pelvis. I am apparently at risk for my pubic bones popping out of place. Yikes! My blood pressure was good and Nick's heartbeat was about 150, although he moved around so much it was hard to get it. We DID talk about a cerclage but we are going to wait to decide on that til after the ultrasound. If my cervix shortens 4 mm or more we are definitely going to have to do something else. In the meantime, rest, rest, rest. (Boring.....) But worth it! So glad to get such a positive doctor who was practices in such an encouraging manner. And so happy that is okay with my "let's try to do things as naturally as possible" approach to labor and delivery.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 6:42pm

Wow, Mandie,

Sounds like you found a really caring doctor.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 6:51pm
Heather, me too! After my experience with the midwives I was seeing before (which just went terribly wrong) I am so very glad to have care providers that I like. :-)

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 12:36am

That's great! So glad you found a doctor you connected with. Sounds like you and Baby Nick will be receiving excellent care.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 1:47am
Glad you like your new doctor Mandie!
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 11:01am
Sounds really good. :)