Went to the High Risk OB today for the first time.

iVillage Member
Went to the High Risk OB today for the first time.
Tue, 02-28-2012 - 7:57pm

Well I finally got in to the high-risk women's health center and absolutely LOVED it! I saw the NP because it was my first appointment and she just told me right off the bat that I would be having lots of ultrasounds. I just laughed cause that is the story of every one of my pregnancies. The office staff and MA's were great, the nurse got my blood on the first try (which is truly impressive because I have the WORST veins ever) and the NP, Jennifer was amazing. Absolutely loved her. She told me I was just going to love Dr. Slack, who I will be seeing next time. She is keeping me on bed rest until I see the doctor but I am ok with that. She warned me about being on Abiify and I told her I was ready to go off of it at any time that we need to, but for sure by the third trimester. I am back up to my pre-pregnancy weight which is 266. OMG!!!! I cannot believe I gained it back already. I will be 19 weeks on Thursday and holy cow I am already at my pre-pregnancy weight. She was totally cool about it though and said it is easier to gain when you are on bedrest. She noted my tendency to have large babies and said that little Nick's HB was at 133 and that my fundus is measuring right on track. I told her about my tendency to measure from 2-10 weeks ahead in the third trimester and she was like, oh you are one of THOSE lol. She said they were definitely going to keep track of baby's size because I have a super-narrow pelvic canal. She pointed out that most docs would not want me deliver a baby over 6 lbs vaginally. I said "yeah I know but I just keep doing it!" She also let me know that they would not freak out about it as I have delivered all three of my babies just fine vaginally before and how women's bodies are amazing things. It is true, I have a freakishly narrow pelvic canal but my pubic symphasis stretches real well for delivery so I do all right. My 9 lb son was probably the max I will ever deliver naturally just because it was dangerous for us both. But Jennifer let me know that they would not induce or get all hog-wild as long as things are looking good, baby and me are both doing well, and I am not freaking out over it. Trust me, I will not be freaking out over it. I do not plan on induction or C-section unless it is truly necessary, Oh well plenty of time before I need to start thinking about that anyways. So I may not have to have an echo cardiogram on the baby's heart depending on how my big Ultrasound goes in two weeks. If all looks well, I can avoid that. :-) If not then I go see a perinatoligist in Denver, which I did with my last pregnancy. They consider Nicholas high-risk for congenital heart defects as he had both a brother and a cousin who died in 2009 shortly after birth due to congenital heart defects. Plus the loss of his twin early in pregnancy and all our other complications..... Jennifer just told me not to worry about all this stuff and that they had access to the best doctors for fetal heart medicine that I could hope for, if needed. I was VERY encouraged by this and I also really liked the fact that no one gave me a hard time about not having a partner, what I should do with my baby, and the fact that I should get my tubes tied when I am done. (Which I have decided not to do at this time). It was such a respectful atmostphere, and it was really refreshing after the midwife I had to deal with before. Thankfully, I should not ever have to go back to them. Jennifer told me they were gonna keep me as their patient. Yay!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member

Glad that you had a much better experience with the High Risk OB rather than the midwife! It is so important to feel comfortable with your doctor, ESPECIALLY during a high risk pregnancy. I like my high risk doctors too, they are pretty good and don't pressure us into anything. Hopefully things continue to go well and Nicholas will be just fine! Obviously, they have to take their precautions and warn you of the risks.

I get ultrasounds every week but it's fine with me b/c I love seeing my babies growing! So that's not a bad thing at all!

*~*Taryn

DH (26) and I (25) have been married since May 15, 2009 and TTC baby #1 since

iVillage Member
Sounds great Mandie. I'm glad you have a new, and better medical/support staff.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
I know, one of the best parts of being pregnant is the ultrasounds! It is like another way to connect with your babies before they are born! ;-) Did you find out for sure what the sex of each baby is?

Make your

iVillage Member

yay!!! Mandie I'm glad u liked the Hi risk place I glad u are doing well while on bedrest

Tisha

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thanks ladies!!! It is really nice to be able to say something GOOD about my providers for once, and have good news about this pregnancy. :-D

Make your

iVillage Member
Yay! Glad you love your new doctors =] sounds MUCH better. Ultrasounds are always my favorite and it's weird to think with this baby I won't be getting any more
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Chey why won't u get anymore ultrasounds :(
Lilypie Maternity tickers