Cloth or Disposable: What's Your Plan?

iVillage Member
Cloth or Disposable: What's Your Plan?
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 8:17am

Have you given much thought to what kind of diapers you will be using with baby yet?  Will it be cloth or disposable?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 9:18am

Great Question!

With DD, we used sposies. I had just turned 21 when DD was born and really didn't know much about cloth, and quite frankly the idea scared me. With this baby, I've had time to do some research, look at the new cloth diapers out there (that grow with baby, have snaps or velcro, and don't use pins anymore) and really think about the pros and cons. Also, since I spent 2.5 years diapering DD everyday, I have a much better idea of what diapering in general is like. So, I'm going to be brave this time, and I have my heart set on cloth diapering. I'm really excited to be a CDing mommy, to buy diapers with cute prints, to hopefully save some money, and CD this time!

Are there any other CDing mommy's on here Or mommy's that have any questions? I'd love to talk cloth, it does get addicting! Also, if anyone is interested, I could answer any questions or point to some informative and fair information where you could learn more. Also, iVillage has a great CDing board I've been lurking on!!!

Marissa

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 12:15pm

When I was pregnant with DD my plan was to do cloth.  I researched them, talked with friends and procured 35 pocket diapers (BG 3.0's) and was so excitied.  My DD was born at 6.5 lb and the diapers didn't fit until she was 8 lb so I used the disposables we'd been given at our shower and the plan was to switch as soon as those ran out and she was big enough.  I switched...for two days.  The whole lower level of my home smelled like urine and none of her clothes fit.  I know I didn't give it a good enough shot but that was what happened.  I switched back to disposables and never looked back.  And I'll be using them with this baby too.  

After starting my DD at daycare (where they do take babies that use cloth) they explained that no matter how well cloth diapers are cleaned (professionally or at home) they see increased rashes, mostly yeast, with cloth.  They said it's just very, very hard to get all the germs off of them.  I figure it's a trade off - with disposables I feel horrible about hte landfill space they take up but with cloth it takes a lot of hot water and cleaner to get them clean.  The environment takes a hit either way.  I live in an area (right outside Boulder, CO) that is VERY pro cloth.  But with both my DH and I working full time I also just find the ease of dispoables too much to deny.  I know cloth works well for many, just wasn't right for us.

Caryn

iVillage Member

Hey Caryn,

Thanks for sharing. I know there are alot of people who try and just don't like it. To be honest, if I was going to go back to work after baby was born, I absolutely wouldn't even consider cloth. lol I just don't think that with work and everything else I'd have the time to devote to the extra laundryand all. Besides, I haven't done much research about daycares around where we live, (there really aren't many that would take a non potty trained child anyway) but I'm almost sure none of them would take  CD'd baby.

Like I said before, this is my adventure I'm setting off on, with no previous experience. haha, it may be an epic fail or an epic success....time will tell. Around where I live, cloth is NOT popular. I live in a rural part of Virginia, where pampers are as normal as fried chicken and gun racks. Lhaha I do have a friend however, who is currently cloth diapering 3 children, all different ages. (yes 3, she's insane, if I had 3 in diapers I wouldn't be CDing, I'd be hiding) and I must say, her house doesn't have a urine or any other noticeable smell, and I am very particular about the way my house smells. This is probably the number one thing I'm worried about with CDing, I'm super sensitive to smell, but I think it all depends on wash routine and stash. As far as rashes being more common, thats interesting, I've never heard of that, all research shows that CD is what you SHOULD do to avoid rashes. So Im nnot sure if maybe its harder to keep a good wash routine as working mom and thats why the daycare said that Trust me, When I worked, laundry piled up to the ceiling, so I wouldn' teven attempt diaper laundry with that.  If it comes down to not getting them clean or continuing to CD, I would definetly give it up, I'm a bit OCD about cleaning them.

Thanks for sharing Caryn! It is always interesting to hear someone elses experience. My biggest worry right now is getting a stash of CDs and then hating it! haha Not gonna save money at allllll that way!

Marissa

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2013 - 3:37pm

Marissa, I'm sure you'll do great with it!  Almost all my good friends CD and love it =)  It's so funny that we both live in areas where the norm is the opposite of what we're doing.  Have fun building up your stash...they are so cute!  One word of advice is that particularly in the tiny sizes of clothes they do take up a lot of room so you might want to buy bottoms in bigger sizes to accomidate.  

Caryn

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-25-2013 - 3:49pm
I've never met anybody IRL who has cloth diapered. I actually had no idea people even still did that until after DS was born and I saw mommies discussing it on iVillage. The only person I know IRL who has actually cloth diapered was my Grandma, and she didn't recommend it when I asked her about it, LOL! We will be using disposable diapers with this baby as we did with our first.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-11-2013 - 12:40am

Amy, I love your opinion and imput on this matter and completely don't blame you for sticking with 'sposies!! =) I did, however, wanna show you what more "modern" cloth looks like, So I'm adding a link at the bottom. Please understand that this isn't the brand I'm usin, it's just a good picture showing how they look and how they grow with baby, thats why I icked it. I LOVE your comment about your grandma saying she wouldn't reccomend it, that actually made me LOL. My in-laws have all given me sideways looks when I said I was going to CD, and I haven't told my family yet, so I know they would! I think part of this is because they have no idea what a cloth diaper looks like these days, lol. I've started my "stash" and showed them to my inlaws now and my MIL loves them and has been doing some research herself now so she can pick out and buy some for us too. First off, lemme say, if I had to fold the diapers or pin them, I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER THEM. Today, there are many types of cloth diapers, but the kind I want to use is one that looks just like a regular diaper, except a little bulkier and in much cuter designs and colors. They snap or velcro, just like a 'sposie, so no safety pins! And no plastic pants over them. Plus, the inside material that goes on your baby's most sensitive parts is microfiber, which is like the softest baby blanket or sleeper. I love how they feel. That being said, I know that it's daunting thinking about washing these things, but I kinda like a challange. I did disposables with DD because I knew NOTHING about CD then either, like you, I only heard about that on iVillage and was like what??? Since then though, I've met a few that do CD and out of curiousity (oh I am OVER curious about everything) I did some research, changed a few of their babies diapers to see the difference, and shopped around and then had to talk DH into getting on board! haha Overall, I'm excited about Ding, for several reasons (comfort for baby, money, cuteness being my top) (environment and concerns about whats inside disposables being down the list too). PLEASE PLEASE don't misunderstand my reply. I am by no means shooting down disposable mamas! Like I said, I did it with DD with great results. I'm also not trying to change your mind or anything, but I always like to share new info and learn new things myself, and I knew nothing about them until someone informed me that they weren't like what I had in my head, so I just wanted to share, since I knew you said you didn't know anyone who did. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer and also their are cloth diapering vlogs on youtube that are so interesting just for education sake. Like I said I'm including the picc just so you can see them, there are many kinds of CDs out there, this is just one type that I'm excited about because IT IS so close to disposable and the ease of 'sposies. All that being said, I know that every mama on here, is going to love their baby like nothing else, so what goes on their bum isn't that important in the scheme of things!! I'm a firm believer that every mama should raise their baby with what choices they want without criticism, as long as that child best interest is at heart.

Like I said before, I'm just naturally curious, love exploring new things, and tend to assume sometimes everyone else is the same (I know they aren't, my DH would just rather not learn anything new half the time, haha) Sorry this got so long, just wanted to share some of what I've learned!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_AEPd90Twb0/Th9alhRjCbI/AAAAAAAAECE/sLywn52QyoM/s1600/size_diagram.jpg&imgrefurl=http://andthenthereweremore.com/2011/07/gogreen-pocket-diaper-review-and/&h=278&w=330&sz=46&tbnid=gXcv1tqMgKX1iM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=116&prev=/search%3Fq%3DWhat%2Bdoes%2Ba%2Bpocket%2Bdiaper%2Blook%2Blike%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=What+does+a+pocket+diaper+look+like&usg=__47mfoAviy_Se_O429obwJTET-MI=&docid=gImOAnwcb10cyM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vVs9UeneIuzx0wGGp4C4Cw&ved=0CFwQ9QEwDg

Marissa