Help! Nervous!

iVillage Member
Help! Nervous!
Thu, 11-29-2012 - 7:27pm

My period is late by about two weeks. So I used a dollar store HPT tonight and it was positive within two minutes. I'm 29 and I have a history of infertility (high FSH) and one chemical pregnancy at 4.5 weeks that happened about 6 years ago. My boyfriend of 3 years and I don't use protection simply because I was told I'd never conceive naturally. Well, here I am possibly 6 weeks pregnant and I don't know what to do. I don't want to tell anyone (not even him) for fear of "jumping the gun" so to speak. We are full time students, working part time to make ends meet. We are struggling along each day. I just know that he will completely freak out when I tell him, if I don't lose the baby first. I'm very worried about miscarriage because of my history. I don't know what to do. I guess, I need to go to the doctor. I've been having intermittant, sharp pains in my lower abdomin and because I have IBS I can't tell if they're due to the *possible* baby or because of my stomach acting up from the IBS. Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis with a fever and had to take antibiotics and codine cough syrup. I also experienced an IBS flare-up. I'm so nervous that all of that might have harmed the baby too. I'm a mess. Omg. 

Thanks for reading. Any advice is very much welcome.

(Copied from Are you pregnant board) 

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 11:55am

As hard as it is try to take one step at a time.  I agree with you about getting into a doctor.  Most antibiotics are fine to take while pregnant and while codeine isn't the best med it's not the worst either.  I would also suggest you ask for your progesterone levels to be checked so that they can give you some medication if it's low.  Sometimes that can cause miscarriage so it's a good thing to check for.  And there's no perfect time to have a baby...so if this is your time it just is =)  Wishing you all the best, please keep us posted!

Caryn

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 11:53am

Thank you both for your advice and thoughts. I really appreciate it! I POanotherS this morning with FMU and it was indeed still positive, so the other test wasn't just a strange fluke. I am numb right now because I never thought I'd see those two little lines show up for me, not without a lot of helf form a reproductive endocrinologist. It's crazy too, because just the other night my BF opened up a fortune cookie and it read "You will see a miracle." And we thought it meant we'd win the powerball! Oddly enough, I also had kind of a hope it would mean that I'd be able to have a baby someday. It's very interesting! I guess I'll allow myself to be a little bit excited. Time to find a doctor! Thanks again!

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 11:53am

Thank you both for your advice and thoughts. I really appreciate it! I POanotherS this morning with FMU and it was indeed still positive, so the other test wasn't just a strange fluke. I am numb right now because I never thought I'd see those two little lines show up for me, not without a lot of helf form a reproductive endocrinologist. It's crazy too, because just the other night my BF opened up a fortune cookie and it read "You will see a miracle." And we thought it meant we'd win the powerball! Oddly enough, I also had kind of a hope it would mean that I'd be able to have a baby someday. It's very interesting! I guess I'll allow myself to be a little bit excited. Time to find a doctor! Thanks again!

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 9:09am

Hi there,

First off I wanted to offer a few (((HUGS))).  An unexpected pregnancy can be stressful, especially when you are unsure of how your partner will react.

I agree with the previous poster and suggest you get into the doctor as soon as possible.  It has always been my experience that the dollar store tests are quite accurate so there is a very good chance you are indeed expecting.  Especially since you've been sick recently, you don't want to take anything that may harm your little one or the outcome of your pregnancy.

Keeping you in my thoughts.  Please update us on how things are going when you have a chance.  HUGS!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-29-2012 - 8:30pm

Well, after a huge mess with trying to log in, and then being told I can't post, here's my thoughts.

Right not the biggest thibg you need to do is go in and get doctor confirmation, and talk to your doctor, particularly with your past history. After that, you need to take a breath, and plan out how you're going to handle the situation, including telling your bf. KUP and I hope things work out how you want them to.

Carrie-Lynn
3 Boys + 2 Angels