Immunizations- What's Your Plan?

iVillage Member
Immunizations- What's Your Plan?
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 12:38pm

WEDNESDAY, Jan. 16 (HealthDay News) -- The standard vaccine schedule for young children in the United States is safe and effective, a new review says.

The report, issued Wednesday by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) at the request of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the first to look at the entire vaccine schedule as opposed to just individual vaccines. The current vaccine schedule entails 24 vaccines given before the age of 2, averaging one to five shots during a single doctor visit.

"The committee found no evidence that the childhood immunization schedule is not safe," said Ada Sue Hinshaw, chair of the committee that produced the report and dean of the Graduate School of Nursing at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md.

Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says- http://www.ivillage.com/childhood-vaccine-schedule-safe-report-says/6-a-515703

Have you had a chance to think about what you will do regarding immunizations and baby? BTDT mamas, did you follow the vaccine schedule recommended by your doctor?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 11:54am

We followed the vaccine schedule recommended by our DD's ped and probably will do so again with this baby.  Our doctor modifies the recommended schedule a bit and only gives one live virus shot at a time.  It's so hard to watch them get all those shots but I want them as protected from serious disease as possible.  

Caryn

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 2:11pm
As a first-time mom, this is something I've been thinking a lot about. I'm honestly not sure what we will do at this point. I plan on doing a lot of reading and researching before we make a decision.