Is Kate Middleton Having Twins?

iVillage Member
Is Kate Middleton Having Twins?
Wed, 12-05-2012 - 12:01pm

The intense excitement surrounding the news that Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge and wife of Prince William, has a royal bun in the oven is dulled only by the fact that the poor mom-to-be is suffering with hyperemesis gravidarum, severe and persistent morning sickness that often leads to dehydration.

While nausea and vomiting are all too common in early pregnancy --up to 85 percent of moms-to-be are affected -- hyperemesis gravidarum only occurs in less than 2 percent of pregnancies, according to the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Along with having the pukes all the time, other symptoms include losing 5 percent or more pre-pregnancy weight, extreme fatigue, low blood pressure and headaches.

The crazy part? It's thought that this type of morning sickness is brought on by a boost in hormone levels which could be due to (wait for it...) multiple babies!

http://www.ivillage.com/kate-middleton-pregnant-twins-1/6-a-506857

Interesting!  Has anyone here suffered with hyperemesis gravidarum before?  If so, were you carrying multiples?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-10-2012 - 9:06am

I've had HG with my last pregnancy that lasted the whole pregnancy, and I'm dealing with it now and at 11 weeks, I'm on two anti-nausea medications and a strong perscription antacid. Ultrasound in both cases showed one bean. While it's thought to be brought on by high hcg, that doesn't explain the 10-20% of HG moms that go on to have it their entire pregnancy.

It is also thought that HG may be a genetic factor, but the problem is, is that there isn't enough research out there to figure out what exactly causes it, or even a good treatment for it.

Honestly, I think people need to look at www.helpher.org to better understand it, but to also realize, that until you've been there, you can never truly understand it. I should know, I had two fluffy pregnancy, and then had my third one which was hard. This one isn't as bad so far, but that could be because I was on the ball with getting mediciation that helped. I sincerely hope two things from Kate having HG. 1)It goes away in the first/second trimester and that she isn't part of the 10-20% of HG sufferers that it's the whole pregnancy. 2)That because she's dealing with HG, and being such a famous person, that more research is done and thrown at HG so that other woman can have the help they need.

Carrie-Lynn
3 Boys + 2 Angels