Maternity Leave

iVillage Member
Maternity Leave
Wed, 05-01-2013 - 9:48am

Hey working moms and dads, just because Yahoo employees are getting more generous parental leave benefits doesn’t mean you should expect those perks, too.

Under Yahoo’s new policy, new moms who give birth are eligible for up to 16 weeks of paid maternity leave, with benefits. New dads can get up to eight weeks of paid paternity leave with benefits, according to Yahoo.

The new parents also get $500 to spend on housecleaning and other needs, according to the new policy made public Tuesday.

The policy basically doubles the amount of leave that many new moms who work at Yahoo will receive after pregnancy, according to NBCBayArea.com.

Experts say that kind of paid leave may be available at other top-tier technologycompanies, but it’s a far cry from what most working parents can expect when their bundle of joy arrives.

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013/04/30/17987586-yahoos-new-baby-leave-policy-is-generous-yours-probably-not-so-much?lite

That's a pretty nice maternity leave package!  What is yours like? How long will you be taking off after baby arrives?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-01-2013 - 1:15pm

I get 2 weeks of paid leave and then I can collect short term disability, which is 66% of my pay, for 6 weeks (because of the c-section, it would be 4 without).  The first two weeks of that however is a "waiting period" where I don't get any pay.  So essentially the short term disability is for 4 weeks at 66%.  Since I'll be taking a full 12 weeks off that leaves 6 weeks to use saved up vacation/sick time or go without pay.  

My DH doesn't get any paid paternity leave.  He will be using vacation/sick time to stay home for 4 weeks.

I wish we were like other countries that were more supportive of maternity/paternity leave!  I know in some countries both parents receive a full year of paid leave and they often take leave stagered so the baby is home with one parent or the other until they are two.

Caryn