Pertussis Vaccine?

iVillage Member
Pertussis Vaccine?
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 9:46pm

I'm sure you all know how dangerous the whooping cough is by now, especially with those scary commercials of the moms holding her coughing baby talking about how we think the safest place for our babies is in our arms. Well, what are your thoughts on the pertussis vaccine for yourself, DH/SO and all those around you who will be around your dragonfly? We're requiring everyone who plans to meet him to be up to date on the vaccine and provide shot verification to us before they can hold him. Sounds somewhat harsh, but much better than hospital visits, a baby on O2, or God forbid a baby funeral. What are your thoughts on the vaccine?

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 12:57pm

My DH and I have both had our TDAP vacinnes and so has our DD and my parents.  I think I should ask my in-laws to get theirs if they haven't before this LO is born.  Thanks for the motivation!

Caryn

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 12:45am

I understand you taking all the precations. I'm very careful with newborns and don't like alot of people in my chid's face anyway. I naturally limit who I allow to hold my babies, I don't like anyone who's recently been smoking/sick holding them and I'm a bit strict on it. If you're planning on coming over to see the baby, please don't smoke on the way or in the clothes you're wearing. We don't smoke and don't want our babies breathing that stuff in. I'm not as strick as you, Amy with the shot records! LOL But, I do understand the motivation behind it, you can't be too careful.

I had my spleen removed at 14 and have to stay on top of my shots anyway, and have shots than the normal healthy adult, (since your spleen is an important part of your immune system) so I know I'm protected. DH is a teacher and is required to have tan updated TDAP shot for his job (they do require shot records!) and DD is, of course, up to date on all of her shots, which I feel is especially important since she'll be starting Kindergarten in Sept.

Marissa