Tell Right Away... Or Wait a Bit?

iVillage Member
Tell Right Away... Or Wait a Bit?
Sun, 11-11-2012 - 10:28pm

Hi ladies,

What are your plans for announcing your pregnancy?  Will you share your news right away, or are you keeping things a secret for the time being?  If so, when do you plan to share the news?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 9:38am
A combination. Some family (in-laws) had to know, a few friends have been privy, roommate needed to know since I plan a homebirth. Elsewise, family can wait until Christmas, most friends around them, and then facebook will be whenever I think it's right. Could be when I have the baby lol. Of course the my playgroups from the past know.

Carrie-Lynn
3 Boys + 2 Angels

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 12:23pm
That's pretty much how I announced it when expecting too. Do you have any special plans for how you'll announce to family at Christmas?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 7:05pm

Not yet. I have three big family things to attend. I may use the shirts for the one on hubby's side, and the one with my mom's side of the family. They're much smaller.  For my dad's side (which is huge, I have 12 living aunts and uncles, 1 aunt who passed away 2 years ago), I may look at giving my grandma an ultrasound picture, and give her a small note, that we'd love her to announce to the family that we're expecting number 4, and that it'd be a great Christmas present for us. After losing Grandpa last year to a heart attack about 2 weeks before Christmas, I think it would be cool if she got to know before everyone but my Dad, and she got to tell the family.

Carrie-Lynn
3 Boys + 2 Angels

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-16-2012 - 12:28pm

A combo here too.  Our parents and a few close friends knew we were going through treatment so they know.  We are waiting to tell our daughter and other family until Christmas time when I'll be nearing the end of 1T.

Caryn 
Expecting #2 
DD born May '10

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 7:48am
With DD we waited (except for immediate family and closest friends). I don't know why but with this pregnancy, I can't keep my mouth shut! Everybody knows! I got pregnant easily and have never had a miscarriage so I'm more confident this time around. I figure the more people know, the less I have to watch what I say lol
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 10:48pm
We have told immediate family and our closest friends... we will tell everyone else once we get our first US and see that everything is a-okay!

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 11:03pm
We just found out yesterday. We will be waiting to tell our parents & family until Christmas & we will make the announcement to friends & Facebook at 12weeks.
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2012 - 12:03pm

Well I told my sister and I told my best friend. BF told his sister and he will tell his best friend soon. It sounds like he really wants to wait until Christmas time to make sure it's viable. My parents have been unreachable and traveling but they get back on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll give them a call then.