Ultrasound Parties?!?

iVillage Member
Ultrasound Parties?!?
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 9:18am

The ultrasound tech squirts gel on her belly, the expectant mom looks at the beating heart on the flickering screen, and a dozen friends and family members huddle in for a closer look -- drinks in hand.

Welcome to the new frontier in pregnancy oversharing: the ultrasound party. Good luck selecting the right gift.

Thanks to improved ultrasound technology, parents-to-be can now invite friends and family to share in an intimate viewing of baby in utero.

“It’s our opportunity to see those little fingers and toes again,” said Kimberly Enderle, a 29-year-old Rogers, Ark., mom due in February who decided to host an ultrasound party just for fun.

With the exception of two women in lab coats and a buzzing console next to the chaise lounge, the Enderles' party was like any other family gathering. Drinks, snacks, friendly banter. Once the machine was ready, though, Kimberly asked husband Jonathon to corral the guests around the two monitors and hit the lights.

Suddenly there was a baby on the screen.

Ultrasound parties: New frontier in pregnancy oversharing- http://www.today.com/moms/ultrasound-parties-new-frontier-pregnancy-oversharing-1C7753058

Well this is an interesting trend!  Would you be interested in hosting an ultrasound party? Do you think it is a fun idea, or just way too TMI?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 1:12pm

I'm not sure goo on my belly is really right for a party ;-)  I prefer to keep that at the doctors office.  The pictures are enough information for friends/family IMO.

Caryn

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-03-2013 - 1:58pm

While I agree that this is an interesting topic, and I do know people who invite half their family to ll their u/s, it's not right for me. I think dr's aappts and u/s are a private matter and I don't want a bunch of people intruding/ Like Caryn said, pictures are good enough.

Marissa

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 8:47am

someday-soon wrote:
<p>I'm not sure goo on my belly is really right for a party ;-)  I prefer to keep that at the doctors office.  The pictures are enough information for friends/family IMO.</p><p>Caryn</p>

I'm with you on this one!  I don't know that I'd be up for lifting my shirt in front of friends/family.  Want to see the pictures, though? Sure!  I'd share those!  ;)

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 8:49am

stargazingmommy wrote:
<p>While I agree that this is an interesting topic, and I do know people who invite half their family to ll their u/s, it's not right for me. I think dr's aappts and u/s are a private matter and I don't want a bunch of people intruding/ Like Caryn said, pictures are good enough.</p>

Not right for me either!  My husband was the only one that was ever in the room with me (other than the tech of course).  With this trend, all I could think was what if (heaven forbid), they found something of concern on the ultrasound?  The entire mood of the party would shift.

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 12:05pm
I think that concept is absolutely bizarre! I've had ultra sounds with DH, DS, my grandma, my mom, my aunt, and my little cousin with me (throughout both pregnancies) but it was never all at the same time, and that's mostly because I'm close with them and figure they'd enjoy coming to "meet" the babies. I'd never make a party out of it and invite a ton of people. Pictures are enough, for the people I'm close with and choose to share them with.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-05-2013 - 3:08pm

Kristy,

Good point about something being of concern. Especially at the 20w u/s when they're checking everything out. If its a party and something is wrong, how awkward would that be. Plus, if you don't have evryone there, you can take time processing whatever the problem/possible problem is. You don't even have to tell anyone until you've found out more days or weeks later, but if everyone knows something little may turn into a huge worry when it was nothing all along.

Besides, especially when we find out the gender of the baby, I'd like for just DH and I to be there. So we can have that "secret" between us for a little while.

I've been debating on taking DD to an U/S and the 20w one would be the only one she could go to, but I'd rather th tch not announce it to her, so I'lm glad I've got a little while to keep thinking.

Marissa

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-05-2013 - 3:08pm

Kristy,

Good point about something being of concern. Especially at the 20w u/s when they're checking everything out. If its a party and something is wrong, how awkward would that be. Plus, if you don't have evryone there, you can take time processing whatever the problem/possible problem is. You don't even have to tell anyone until you've found out more days or weeks later, but if everyone knows something little may turn into a huge worry when it was nothing all along.

Besides, especially when we find out the gender of the baby, I'd like for just DH and I to be there. So we can have that "secret" between us for a little while.

I've been debating on taking DD to an U/S and the 20w one would be the only one she could go to, but I'd rather th tch not announce it to her, so I'lm glad I've got a little while to keep thinking.

Marissa