Who Will Be in the Delivery Room?

iVillage Member
Who Will Be in the Delivery Room?
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 8:51am

Who will be in the room with you when you give birth? Will it be just you and your DH/SO? Will you have friends and/or family members join you? Also, who do you think should have the final say on who gets to be in the room with you? Since it is your labor and delivery, should that be left up to you?

Who Gets to Be in the Delivery Room? How Many is Too Many? Who Decides?- http://www.ivillage.com/who-gets-be-delivery-room-how-many-too-many-who-decides/6-a-334787?ice=iv:mb...

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 10:54am

DH. Just DH.

This is a bit of a sore subject since with DD I only wanted DH, and his family threw  a hissy fit, qite literally. I must add, I don't want anyone but DH in the room when I'm in labor either. So fro the time I check in to the time baby is born, I just wwant him and required medical staff. My family understood this and made no attempt at changing my mind. His family...ugh, they tried to change my mind in all ways, sayin he wouldn''t know what to do, he wouldnt be comforting to me, if anything happened he wouldnt be able to make decisions. (hah, yeah because when I in pain what will really comfort me is my MIL *rolls eyes*) I even planned on just not telling them when I went into labor, but I wass induced, so that plan didn't work. During labor my bp became a concern, and while nurses were trying to get it down, another nurse came in and said "His mther is here abnd would like to come back, is that ok?" (oh yeah she showed up at the hospital when it was clear that we would CALL her hen we were ready!!!v Anyways, my BP shot up so high a nurse went and told her she had to leave the waiting room =) Having just DH in the roo with me was so special, I look back now and reebe he whole day as calming and relaxing and wouldn't have it any other way.

Long story shor, just DH

Marissa

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 4:23pm

My DH and I are in 100% agreement that it's just us.  Since we will be having a repeat c-section I'm only allowed one person in there with me anyway.  

Caryn

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 3:07pm
With my DD I had DH and my mom but we are very close and she respects my wishes 100%. I knew that if I'd changed my mind she would have left without a word and wouldn't have minded. Actually my MIL drove us to the hospital but she didn't butt in or anything, just returned once we called her. I'm so sorry you had to deal with a pushy MIL, stargazingmommy. We would invite my mom back but she's going to be watching DD so it'll just be the two of us.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-12-2013 - 10:42am

I'm planning a homebirth, so I haven't exactly decided who will be ther. My husband will hopefully be there, MIL, otherwise I wouldn't mind a friend or two. I dunno, I'll figure it out later.

Carrie-Lynn
3 Boys + 2 Angels

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-16-2013 - 10:08pm
Just DH, myself, and the necessary medical staff. This is my decision, it's my private parts being exposed, I make this decision. With DS I had my mom in the room along with DH who back then was only BF, but now that we're married I think my mom will be in charge of DS in the waiting room.