Disappointed About Baby's Gender?

iVillage Member
Disappointed About Baby's Gender?
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 11:58am

Some women feel a momentary twinge of sadness when they find out the gender of their baby. For others, the disappointment cuts deeper, and can even turn into depression. This phenomenon, known as “gender disappointment,” is rarely discussed yet common among expectant mothers. 

“We assume gender disappointment is quite a hidden experience, yet extremely common especially in certain cultures” says Dr. Louann Brizendine, a neuropsychiatrist at UCSF and author of The Male Brain and The Female Brain.  “As many as 1 in 5 women express at least some disappointment about the sex of the child they are carrying.”

Gender disappointment: Expectant mothers confess secret regrets-http://www.today.com/moms/gender-disappointment-expectant-mothers-confess-secret-regrets-1C8144610

Can you relate to this feeling?  Anyone here dealing with a bit of disappointment after finding out baby's sex?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 4:49pm

Honestly I was a little tiny bit.  I've loved having a girl and have so many cute things saved for her...when I found out I was having a boy I had a twinge or two of disappointment.  But that's well behind me and I'm excited to be able to have one of each.

Caryn

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-15-2013 - 11:36pm

Honestly, like Caryn, I had a few twinges of disapointment. I have a beautiful DD and DH and I would have loved to have a boy. DH is a teacher, would love to coach once the kids get a bit older and he has more free time. He already coaches DD's tball team (of which shes one of like 3 girls in the entire league (haha)) and he would have loved to have the boy to pass his sports fanatacism down to! Howeer, now that I have a daughter, and all the cute girl things to pass down to this one, plus DD1 is in a dance and I can't wait to have them both in dance together, I just love the idea of having two girls, sisters that can be BFFS (hopefully). Honestly with DD1 I suffered more disappointment than this time. I reallhy wanted a boy then and has no clue what to do with a girl. No matter what you have, once they're here you love them either way!

Marissa

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-25-2013 - 9:43pm
With DS#1 I was really upset because I wanted a little girl so badly... I got over it though, especially when he was born. I cannot imagine having a little girl now. With DS#2 (currently) I wanted another little boy because I love my mommies boy!