Flu Vaccine Safe During Pregnancy, Study Confirms

iVillage Member
Flu Vaccine Safe During Pregnancy, Study Confirms
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 8:14am

NEW YORK (AP) — A large study offers reassuring news for pregnant women: It's safe to get a flu shot.

The research found no evidence that the vaccine increases the risk of losing a fetus, and may prevent some deaths. Getting the flu while pregnant makes fetal death more likely, the Norwegian research showed.

The flu vaccine has long been considered safe for pregnant women and their fetus. U.S. health officials began recommending flu shots for them more than five decades ago, following a higher death rate in pregnant women during a flu pandemic in the late 1950s.

But the study is perhaps the largest look at the safety and value of flu vaccination during pregnancy, experts say.

http://news.yahoo.com/large-study-confirms-flu-vaccine-safe-pregnancy-220935412.html

Have you received a flu vaccine this year?  Did your doctor recommend that you get one?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member

Both my OB and RE (reproductive endocrinologist) recommended and I get one, and I did at about 5-6 weeks pregnant.

Caryn

iVillage Member
Yep, I've already gotten the flu vaccine. I've gotten one every year and my doc recommended I get one this year too.