Jocelyn Martha's Birth Story

iVillage Member
Jocelyn Martha's Birth Story
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 2:08pm

I was scheduled to be induced the evening of June 4th, so we arrived at the hospital about 8:30pm and checked in.  They took me up to High Risk Triage for the evening.  The nurse came in to start the IV and blew my vein on my right hand, so she had to put it in my left, not a big deal, but I'm a lefty so it messed with me quite a bit.  I was still 1cm dilated at that point, so they started the cervidil about 10pm.  Around 1am they gave me some ambien to help me sleep.  That did nothing, so around 2am they gave me a shot of morphine so I could sleep through the contractions.  That did it because I slept through until about 7am when they came to check me and to remove the cervidil.  Around 9:30am they moved to me L&D so we could start the pictocin and break my water.  It was about an hour later when the doc came in to break my water and I was about 2cm dilated at that point.  It was a lot more uncomfortable having them break my water than having it go on it's own.  I didn't have the gush of water when it broke on it's own because their heads would stop any leaking.  This time it just gushed out.  The pitocin drop was started about 11am and I was up to 3cm dilated.  And there I sat... DH was hungry and I kept telling him to go down and get something to eat, but he didn't want to.  We sat there and waited through the contractions.  About 2pm I had enough and asked for the epidural because I was feeling out of it and needed to rest knowing what was still ahead of me.  I got my epidural and was feeling much better... it must be something about the anesthesia they use before putting in the epidural line because it just messes with my hormones everytime and I just end up crying.  I was going to try and rest and sent DH off to eat finally around 3:30-4pm.  They come in to check me about 4:30 and ask where my husband went.  They called my OB and told them I was ready to go.  I sent DH a text telling him to get back up to the room.  My OB was tied up, so they called another doc at the practice and he had already left the hospital, so then a 3 OB from my practice was called in and he came back to the hospital.  He got there within 10 minutes or so and told me when I was feeling the contractions to start pushing.  I pushed 4 times through one contraction and out popped her head... it took about 3 pushes for her shoulders.  She had a full head of hair was needed to be cleaned up pretty good.  I needed just a couple stitches and am still fairly tender, but managing.  She was 8 pounds 11 ounces and 21.5 inches long... not bad for coming at 38 weeks and my biggest baby!  Jocelyn's apgars were 9 and 9.  Her bilirubin levels were high when she was discharged and her weight was down to 8 pounds, so a home health nurse came out to visit us on Friday and check her levels.  She was up to 11.4 for her bilirubin level and down to 7 pounds 11 ounces.  The nurse came back on Saturday to check again and we went to the pediatrician's office for a quick check on her weight.  She was up to 7 pounds 14 ounces, so that's on track and her bilirubin levels are back to 9.8, so they were pleased with that and weren't going to subject her to any other blood drawls.  We will go back again on Wednesday for other weight check, but she's been eating well and my milk is in, so that should be all good there too.  I still feel pretty squishy, but other than my nipples being sore as we adjust to breastfeeding I'm getting along well. 

~~ Heather ~~
~~ Emma Michelle 7/27/03 ~~
~~ Brendan Frederick 9/29/05 ~~
~~ Jocelyn Martha 6/5/12 ~~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 9:39pm
What a beautiful girl! My daughter had hair like that too...it's really fun now! Congrats!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 5:38pm
Congratulations!

Karen

Wife to Shelton and

Mom to Gabby(4/98), Suzie(11/99), Barbara(7/05), and #4 due April 24, 09

Cecilia Rose was born at 5:11 pm on April 27, 2009.

Community Leader
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 3:46pm
Congratulations on your new baby!

Rose

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2012 - 3:37pm
Congrats! She is beautiful!!! I love all that hair.