Bumbo seat

iVillage Member
Bumbo seat
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 2:35pm

Since the bumbo seats are back in stores, I been considering getting one. I was just wondering if anyone has one and if you could tell if (1) they are worth the cost and (2) are they just for infants or can i continue to use it when blake gets older?

Thanks so much :)

Pregnancy Ticker
Community Leader
In reply to: maybaby729
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 7:23pm

I have the original one and never got the belt attached.  I dont really use it...  they like the boppies, rockers, jumperoos or their baby nests.  no need to use the bumbo anymore.  I know some people love them.  My cousin used hers all the time with her lil one.

Wendy

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 8:25pm

I really like the Bumbo, although I am not in love with the new safety straps as they just get in the way.

With DD1 I had her sit in a Bumbo several times at friend's homes and loved that I could have her sit and face me where when we were at home I typically sat behind her while she was learning to support herself.  I didn't have one of our own for her until she was about 6 months old. After she was able to sit up on her own, the Bumbo became a snack time spot since we also had the tray.  It was a nice place for her to sit without needing to put her in her high chair.

I have already put Marissa in it a few times but only for a few minutes at a time since she can't sit up on her own and she needs to be able to learn.

I personally did not want to spend the money on the Bumbo since I think they are way over priced.  You can find them sold used so I would check either consignment shops or Craig's list if you want to save some money.  They are pretty durable so a used one would most likely be in good shape.  I ended up just asking one of the grandparents for it for Christmas and they bought the seat and tray.

Oh, and as for using it for a long period, it will depend on the size of your child.  DD1 is 17 months old and about 23lbs and still fits in it.  She often wants to sit in it but there are much better seats for her age so I prefer that she doesn't.  I would say it was useful for snack times and I also had her try coloring for the first time in that seat until she was around 12-14 months old.  After that, she is just too mobile to want to be stuck in a seat and she can't get herself out of the Bumbo once her legs are fully in it.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 9:39pm

We got one used for our daughter... never really got into it with my other 2, but Jocelyn really seems to like it.  I couldn't justfy the full price.  I plan on using that to feed her too, much easier to take than the bouncy chair when we travel and we got the table attachment for it too.  DH's cousin has one for her daughter and she uses it all the time for her daughter, she's about 6 months older than Jocelyn.  We did get the straps for the recall, but we didn't install it on the chair just yet.  We use it on the floor though and she's not unsupervised in it. 

~~ Heather ~~
~~ Emma Michelle 7/27/03 ~~
~~ Brendan Frederick 9/29/05 ~~
~~ Jocelyn Martha 6/5/12 ~~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 7:20am

thanks for all the opinions. After looking at it again I'm not sure I'm going to get since blake is pretty big. At his last check he was 16lbs and 27inchs. I did find an off brand sold my walmart that i might consider. It has the seat and a tray that goes the whole way around. the tray has toys on one part, an empty part for him to color(when hes older) and a part that has removable bowls to put snacks in. I'm going to think about that one some more. I was just really hoping to find a chair for him because hes starting to sit. He loves to sit and watch sesame street and i hate having to put him in his hichair for that. If anybody has an other suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks again:)

Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-21-2012 - 12:25am

Not sure this matters but I wanted to add something. Taylors PT told us to quit using it because of the way it supports. She said it was great a month ago but that time has passed and he needs to not be in it to learn to sit properly.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-21-2012 - 12:25am

Not sure this matters but I wanted to add something. Taylors PT told us to quit using it because of the way it supports. She said it was great a month ago but that time has passed and he needs to not be in it to learn to sit properly.

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-22-2012 - 11:09am

I ended up not getting one. Blake and I just sit on the floor together or he sits in his high chair. He hardly wants to do that anyway, he would rather lay on the floor and roll around:) and start to scoot forward-.- 

Pregnancy Ticker