Homemade Baby Food

iVillage Member
Homemade Baby Food
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 8:17pm

Anyone making homemade baby food or thinking about making it?

I made all of DD1's food, never bought a single jar, and I found it really easy and saved so much money.  So I am doing it again with Marissa.  I started tonight with sweet potatoes and Marissa loved them.  I bought 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled them, steamed them and then divided them up.  Those 3 potatoes made enough for me and DD1 for a side dish at dinner plus a little extra for DD1 to have tomorrow and plenty to mash up for Marissa for the next couple days.  For Marissa's, since sweet potatoes are so soft, I didn't even bother with the food processor and I just mashed them with a fork and added water until they were thin enough for her first attempt.

I'd love to get a discussion going for anyone else that is trying to make baby food to get people's experiences or questions or for anyone that is interested in learning more.  So what are your thoughts?

Cynthia

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 2:28pm
I'm delaying solids until December, but I plan on starting with sweet potatoes, pumpkin, squash, apples, bananas, and avocados. I'm probably going to blend them smooth with expressed breast milk. There's no reason for me to buy the little jars because I'm home now. I used jars with DS1 because I was working and going to school full time. We're doing things much more naturally now.
 BabyFruit Ticker

Pages