Tummy Sleeping?

iVillage Member
Tummy Sleeping?
Thu, 09-06-2012 - 5:11pm

So Aly has pretty bad GERD and is on ranitadine twice a day for it, however she still has issues with burning esophagus which causes her to wheeze when she sleeps on her back and to want to eat constantly to soothe her throat....The public health nurse who gave her her shots today said she may be a candidate for tummy sleeping as long as she has no other risk factors for SIDS. Does anyone have a child or have had a child before who slept on their tummy? I know when she sleeps on her tummy on me or dad she sleeps longer than when she sleeps on her back and the wheezing is gone.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 11:06pm
This really is a personal decision so long as the safety of the baby is not in question. Both my babies have slept on their tummies pretty early. The first one after 6 weeks, and this one after 3 weeks. Neither of them had respiratory issues, so our decision was based on the question: can they hold up their head for 3 seconds or longer and can they turn their from side to side while on their tummies? For DD1 it took longer to be able to do these things, but DD2 is very wiry and was able to do so very early. Someone is always within earshot when she sleeps on her tummy just in case. I hope things improve for you quickly. Hugs!

Perfection is optional

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 8:15pm

my JB only sleeps on her tummy and has since we was about 6 weeks old. she would wake up constantly when she wasnt. She now sleeps 12 hours straight! I talk to my ped about it and she said it would be ok aslong as she could move her head and could lift up. i would try it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 3:28pm

So I am going to be the differing voice here...BUT I want to say first you have a different thing going on with the GERD.

Babies sleep better on their tummies...most of them. And this is why it is an issue. It isn't JUST the being able to move their heads to breath thing.

They sleep better which equals deeper. It actually is worse if they only occasionally sleep that way since they aren't used to sleeping so deeply. Sleeping deeply might lead to an apnea episode- hopefully they self correct. So no...my kids don't tummy sleep (except the first one since she was JUST as they were starting to think maybe back was better- she is 16). This is just not a risk I am willing to take based on "we slept on our tummies and we are fine" yep...and I didn't use a carseat either but I still use one for my kids.

have you tried a rock and play? does having her upright even help? I don't have a lot of experience with GERD but I know a friend has a baby that has pretty bad reflux and the rock and play sleeper saved their sanity.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 5:23pm
I don't k ow what a rock and play is. She has a bouncy chair but she doesn't sleep well in it. Really the only way she sleeps long is laying on me or her dad on her tummy. I think I'll talk to her ped this month and see what he says.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-11-2012 - 10:55pm

Oh google it...awesome thing.

And like I said I think your situation is different since she is in pain.

Hugs.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 2:17am
Ahh looks quite a lot like the chair we have for but I'd be interested in trying it out however can't find a site to buy them in canada :smileysad: found a website that said they don't meet Canadian regulations as a sleep system si maybe that's why? :smileysad:

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 7:58pm
ALl 3 of my DS's were tummy sleepers. Trystan has been on his tummy sleeping since about 3-4 weeks old! My boys all had bad reflux so I was terrified to have them sleep on their back cause if they threw up in their sleep I was afraid they would aspirate (sp?) and suffocate so I felt safer with them on their tummys. And Ive never had a problem with any of the boys sleep like that :-D
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 11:18am
Have you tried swaddling? I think what they like sometimes is tummy pressure--mine have anyway--and swaddling gives them a little of that, as well as stopping the startle reflex some. Obi is not thrilled with swaddling but sleeps better that way (read: sleeps). He can get out of a swaddle because he is crazy strong but I don't know if he does it while he is asleep and then wakes up, or wakes up then gets out.
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 7:48pm
Aly haaaaates to be swaddled and gets out of it in like five seconds do that's never worked for us. It's just so frustrating !

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 11:53pm
Sebastian has been sleeping on his stomach for the past 6-8 weeks. We figured out early on that he sleeps better this way and we're really careful to not let anything get near his face. He moves his head very well now, so I'm not so worried. Plus, his father is really paranoid about something happening to one of us, so he checks on everyone in the house at least 1-2 times every night and the baby probably twice as often.
 BabyFruit Ticker

Pages