Ugh... back to school means "here comes the bugs"

Community Leader
Ugh... back to school means "here comes the bugs"
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 4:01pm

So my 7yr old is back to school...

now sick with a cough/cold ...and now my trio are getting sick with it.

Emi is the sickest..  cough/cold.. grumpy.. no fever (99.1 rectal).. diarrhea - I have her on tylenol and pedialyte..

Anyone have any helpful suggestions for colds?  I'm going to call the Doc tomorrow

Wendy

iVillage Member
Ugh, I'm right there with you. My LO is just getting over his first cold that he got from the nursery at church (at first, they thought the little boy that started it had whooping cough). I know the children's hospital in Denver and probably other children's hospitals have helpful advice on their websites.
http://www.childrenscolorado.org/wellness/at_home/index.
http://www.childrenscolorado.org/wellness/at_home/nose/colds.aspx

From the website:
HOME CARE ADVICE FOR COUGH
Reassurance:
Coughs are a normal part of a cold.
Coughing up mucus is very important for protecting the lungs from pneumonia.
We want to encourage a productive cough, not turn it off.
Homemade Cough Medicine:
Goal: reduce the irritation or tickle in the throat that triggers a dry cough
AGE 3 months to 1 year: Give warm clear fluids (e.g., water or apple juice) to treat the cough. Amount: 1-3 teaspoons (5-15 ml) four times per day when coughing. Avoid honey until 1 year old.

For stuffy noses:

Use saline nose drops or spray to loosen up the dried mucus. If not available, can use warm tap water.
STEP 1: Instill 3 drops per nostril. (Age under 1 year, use 1 drop and do one side at a time)
STEP 2: Blow (or suction) each nostril separately, while closing off the other nostril. Then do other side.
STEP 3: Repeat nose drops and blowing (or suctioning) until the discharge is clear.
Frequency: Do nasal washes whenever your child can't breathe through the nose.
Saline nasal sprays can be purchased without a prescription. 
Saline nose drops can also be made. Add 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) of table salt to 1 cup (8 ounces or 240 ml) of warm water
Reason for nose drops: suction or nose blowing alone can't remove dried or sticky mucus.
Another option: use a warm shower to loosen mucus. Breathe in the moist air, then blow each nostril.
For young children, can also use a wet cotton swab to remove sticky mucus.
Importance for a young infant: can't nurse or drink from a bottle unless the nose is open.

I would bring my JB into the bathroom with me and steam it up while playing with him or while I took a shower. Once it was steamy, I turned down the water temp and brought him in the shower with me.

iVillage Member

Poor babies!

I was just gonna add that we use the humidifier for our kiddos when they're sick. Hope they feel better soon!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
How are your little guys doing today? Hope the doc had some good advice and that all four of yours are feeling better soon.
Community Leader

everyone is ok today..  ty for asking :smileyhappy:

Emi is just sniffling... still no fevers (knock on wood)

Apparently there's something going around the schools.. lovely.

They recommended fluids, humidifier, chest rub, nasal suctioning if needed, steam..

all the things you girls knew

Wendy