Choosing a VBAC?

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-25-2007
Choosing a VBAC?
8
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 5:26am
Just wondering who is choosing to do a VBAC and how you got to that decision?

I am so torn on what to do... i had a c-section with my first because my water broke before labour started, i was put on pitocin after not progressing at all over night then on pitocin for 14 hours and only ended up getting to 4cms, my body just did not want to labour it ended up getting towards 24 hours since my water broke increasing the risk of infection so i decided to go ahead and do the c-section. I was not able to get an epidural because the dr could not find the space in my spine and the attempts were the most pain i had ever felt, so i would prefer to be knocked out again than have to try the epi - which would suck, thats the only thing i didnt like about the c-section last time. I just dont want to try for a VBAC and end up in the c-section again.. so i dont know if i should just schedule the c-section so i can go without the tiring and painful labour this time around or hope that my body does its thing because more likely than not my water will not break first again and hopefully my body will labour, but thats not a guarantee.. ugh i dont know what to do..

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-18-2009
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 8:03am
With my 1st my H2O broke and I had to be induced but unlike you it did take. My 2nd I decided on a natural birth because of some problems I had with my Epi. Well, she decided at 7cm to change her mind and ended up crawling up instead of down and was sideways so I had to have a c-section. It was unplanned and not at all complicated. I had a great surgeon (he was actually my obs husband) I did get the spinal block and did not have to be knocked out.. I would evaluate the Drs in your practice to see if you think you will be comfortable with a section on the fly then I would try. I know some people would rather have it scheduled I just think that why not try. It kind of creeps me out to pick my child's bday. I feel that I should not be making that desicion. I will be having another c-section because he had to butterfly me to ge her out but they will not schedule it before 38 wks. And I go really early so I know it will not happen on my scheduled date.
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-15-2005
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 12:36pm
My main reason for wanting a VBA2C is that I was told I have CPD (pelvis too small to birth a baby) my original OB told me no way I could birth a 6lb baby let alone the 8lb my boy was measuring. Well, she induced me, got an epidural, and was flat on my back for pushing. She let me push for like 20min and was like, no he's not coming out.

With my 2nd boy I did a TON of reading, and found out that laying on my back can close my pelvis up to 30% more!! Why on earth would she have me on my back to push knowing I'm small?? So I got a new OB who said they can do a supported squat (opens pelvis up to 30% more) if I get an epidural etc. So great, we went with her for the pregnancy. I went into labor on my own, when she was out of town. So we get to the hospital, I dialate all the way with no meds, forebag of waters break and I regress back to an 8, so I get the epi after that...I'd had 4hrs sleep and in labor for 10hrs at that point, I was just like ok, give it to me lol. Well the OB on call and the nursing staff refused to help me into a supported squat, so guess what. Yep. On my back AGAIN!

I was so upset. I was very pleased with all that we did for the labor, we did so much, but I was so upset that I was still on my back. After about 45min of pushing that OB on call started making snide remarks about my original OB probably knowing what she was talking about etc. and off to c-section #2 I went.

Now don't get me wrong, both of my c-sections were fine. I had no complications, and both boys are fine. They both nursed fine, had no troubles bonding or anything. I just want to have my baby naturally dangit! I DO NOT believe my body is incapable of having a baby. The more c-sections you have, the more dangerous it is to mom. The risks for VBA2C are very slightly more than after 1 c-section, and I feel that is the best for me and baby. Recovering from a c-section with 3 kids would be horrible...I'm really hoping I can avoid that and have my VBA2C finally.

Sorry that sort of turned into a book LOL.

 

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-02-2007
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 2:52pm
I'm going to play it by ear. My OB has already mentioned a VBAC as an option, so I know that she's open to it, so that's good. My last labor started on its own about a week and a half before my due date and spent over 30 hours contracting. I never got past fingertip dilation because my son never dropped into my pelvis due to polyhydroamnios (too much fluid), so I ended up with the c-section. I healed quickly and was fine, aside from an unexplained fever, especially once I got home. I'm hoping to have that VBAC and not another operation.
 BabyFruit Ticker
Community Leader
Registered: 07-23-2004
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 8:34pm

Hi Ladies,

I had a c/s because of a complete previa.

Rose

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-25-2007
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 2:24am
I think it might be a little different over here.. my ob would be doing the c-section if it ended like that, over here if you go privately you go to an ob who owns their own practice and usually its only them in the practice.. he has two other obs that will cover for him if he is away or sick and they all delivery vag and perform c-sections, i would be happy with all three to do a second c-section.. but good thoughts for others who dont have the same system we do over here.

Thanks alreadyblessed for the link too :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-01-2003
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 3:08pm

I had a C/S w/ DD after her heart rate dropping repeatedly and finding out the cord was wrapped around her several times. Its not what I wanted originally, but now I would much rather have the scheduled C/S. I know exactly when my baby will be born and can plan for it.

It irritates me when I tell people that I already know I'm going to have a C/S and they're like "oh you're not even going to try for a VBAC?" (absolutely nothing against those of you who do! Good luck to you!)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 09-25-2007
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 5:59pm
Thats funny i get annoyed when i say im thinking about a VBAC they say "Oh you're not just going to have another c-section?" like you i have nothing against people who go either way, its a personal choice.. one that im struggling with now so i still might end up with a scheduled c-section which would work out better seeing as my MIL has to come over from the other side of the country to watch Elody.. wow that was rambley :P
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-10-2007
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 7:08pm

I VBAC'd DS2, 16 months post C/S.