When will you leave baby for an overnight?

iVillage Member
When will you leave baby for an overnight?
Wed, 07-18-2012 - 10:44am

My DH and I are going to a concert July 27th and I will be sending my boys to my mom's to stay the night. I am so nervous. It just seems like Nicholas is too young to be away from me, but I am pretty sure my oldest had stayed the night with my mom by the time he was 8 weeks.

Then we have an event to go to in August and an adult wedding/reception the following weekend. I will have to leave him for 3 overnights within a month.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Re: When will you leave baby for an overnight?
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:50pm
We're leaving both kids with my in-laws next Sunday so we can go out but they're coming to our house and it'll just be so we can go out to dinner. I can't remember exactly when we first leff my son overnight but I think he was at least six months old. I might not wait quite that long but at this point she's still waking up a few times each night and it seems mean to make my in-laws watch a baby who can't sleep though the night. Especially since with breastfeeding I'd have to wake up to pump anyways.
Honestly I'm just excited for next weekend since I have my book club on Friday night (I'm hosting so I'll be home but only available if she won't take a bottle or we run out of milk), working on Saturday for four hours and then going out to dinner on Sunday. After six weeks I'm ready for some time away from both kids but not quite ready for a night away from my baby.
bigbro
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 6:26pm

I know my mom would not be comfortable with having Aly overnight until she's close to a year unless it was absolutely necessary. But until she is sleeping mostly through the night I really can't leave her for more than 2-3 hours as I am exclusively bf'ing and not having great success with a pump despite having a great milk supply. I'm sure my MIL would be willing to have her overnight once she starts solids but we will see how she is sleeping by that time. Right now I can hardly have a nap without worrying about her when she is with DH so cant imagine being away from her overnight!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 11:06pm
No time soon! Sebastian still won't drink out of a bottle, so that's not an option. I wish that he would because it would be nice to have a date night. I got to go out once in a while when my older boy was a baby.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 11:13pm
Thank you all for posting your stories -- so heartwarming and encouraging at the same time. I have to leave DD2 for overnight next week -- she will be 12 weeks old. She's fine with the bottle and I have enough breast milk for hear to cover my 2-day absence. I wish I didn't have to go, but it's for work and my boss really needs me to go. With DD1, I think she was about a year old for the first overnight. To each situation its own solution... Hugs to all who have to leave their little ones for extended periods of time!

Perfection is optional