Breast or bottle?

iVillage Member
Breast or bottle?
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 4:55am
I put this here because this *usually* ends up in a heated discussion.. so how are you planning to feed your baby?

I am planning to bottle feed with formula. For me breast feeding is not worth the tears and heartache. I breast fed my daughter for four months and in that time she gained about a kilo and then started to lose weight and continued to do so until i switched to formula, i was going to supplement but by that time it was too much for me emotionally to handle. Turns out because of a condition that i have my body takes all the nutrients it can and leaves my breast milk with next to nothing, so while she was full, because i have enough milk to feed an entire army, sadly it was not enough to help her grow. This baby will be straight on formula so he/she can grow from the get go!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 8:54pm
I breastfed my son until I got pregnant again and am planning to breastfeed the next one until they're ready to wean.
bigbro
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 9:53pm

I would have never said I was a breast feeding advocate until I met my husband and heard his story with his son.

My oldest was BF for 6 wks. OMG to this day one of the worst periods of my life. No regrets. no momma guilt. Switched her to formula at 6 wks and life was so good. Ok...maybe a little less lazy. I don't like making bottles.

My youngest daughter was BF. I had no choice. We could not afford formula and didn't get WIC since we were overseas. I was MAD! MAD! MAD! Felt like I was being hijacked. No choice. BF her for 12 months and we did ok...not great but ok and she never would take a bottle so she really did hold me hostage! lol

My Stepson...oh man. Your daughter not getting what she needed from breast milk? that was my stepson with his formula. Projectile vomiting. every formula on the market. A GI series before he was 6 months. Pain and asthma attacks from the allergic reaction to the formula. Just hearing the stories puts me in tears.

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-13-2011 - 8:32am
I'll try to BF but if it doesn't work out then I'll go formula with no stress. Last time I was gung ho to BF...read all the books, took classes, was totally convinced I had this down. Baby arrives and, wouldn't you know it, she had a weak suck mechanism so while she would (and did) suckle for HOURS at a time, she virtually got nothing from me. This left me with serious blockages, engorgement, and eventually supply issues. I was a boob noob so I didn't know she wasn't getting anything until we went to the LC at 5 days post birth and she had lost almost 2 lbs!!!!! Poor kid took the formula that the LC offered like it was liquid gold! I of course cried my eyes out for about 3 months over that one and ended up pumping and supplementing until she was 6 months old.
NOW...I know what a suck sounds like and I know what engorgement feels like so I'm hoping I won't make the same mistakes again. Plus I have a real mama-jama pump in the closet that I know how to use if push comes to shove.
Crossing my fingers!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-13-2011 - 9:07am
I will BF. With #1 I started to BF but because of some complications she ended up a Formula fed baby. With #2 I BF for 2yrs. So I plan on BFing this one. I think that they both provide things the other is lacking. And I just don't have extra $$ to spend on formula so my decision is made with no conflict.
Community Leader
Sun, 11-13-2011 - 10:47am

I'm doing the bottle.

I tried to BF with my DD.

Wendy

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-13-2011 - 4:19pm

I

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-13-2011 - 4:30pm
I'll bf if I can. Last time it was fairly easy and hope this one will be easy too because to bf in the middle of the night is much easier...

I think whatever causes least stress to the mom is the best choice.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 4:47pm
DD was breastfed for 11 months no problems... meaning that since she was the first I could live with nursing more than half the day most days. No, not just growth spurts, most days. She gradually dropped on the percentages the entire time she was nursing, but the doctors didn't care (she was happy, meeting milestones, all that stuff).

DS arrives and doesn't feed well. Gets supplemented. Takes 7 weeks for him to learn to breastfeed, and that's a long time with a newborn and a toddler... just not enough hours in the day to pump enough. He turned out to have a posterior tongue tie which was released but grew back, and having to nurse him all day was not as easy with a toddler to take care of as well. Finally started cereal early (4m) which made a huge difference... he even slept through the night a couple times.... then not again until around 11 months. At 12 or 13 months we finally figured out he had a milk allergy. I think there may be another allergy as well, trying to get that figured out (he is almost 2). I definitely think that having so much formula rather than bfing exclusively caused his allergies. I did still breastfeed him until 14 months. Felt so bad about stopping (lactose free diet did not agree with me) I tried to restart a few months later but it didn't work. I plan to do everything I can to breastfeed this guy, plan on the lactation consultant early, refuse to supplement without consulting an LC, buck the system as much as I have to, get the tongue tie repaired (it's not a classic one but I really think both kids had it, slows down the nursing because they can't suckle as efficiently) and do what I have to to make sure it doesn't grow back... and if at all possible I won't wean him until he decides it's time.

Best laid plans of mice and men and all though... but there they are.
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 5:17pm

I plan to BF as long as I can up to a year (have to go back to work then so will start to wean them while introducing other foods) but if I can't BF that long or even at all, I'm not going to beat myself up, as long as they're healthy and happy that's what I care about!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers