Child Care Costs

iVillage Member
Child Care Costs
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 11:39am

In the reignited mommy wars debate sparked by commentator Hilary Rosen's recent comment that stay-at-home mother of five Ann Romney hasn't "worked a day in her life," there have been lines drawn between moms who can choose to stay at home with their kids

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 11:31am
I'm lucky to live in canada in that we get a year paid mat leave (60% of wage) and some companies even make up the difference (not mine as im an educator). After mat leave in not sure what to do. I'd love to stay home and take a few kids in to our home as a daycare (what I used to do) to make the difference in what I would bring home after expenses if I went back to work ( daycare for an infant up to 18 months is very hard to find and costs about $1000 a month; plus I'd have to pay for gas to drive her to her daycare then to my work). Problem is if I take kids into my home then when we want another child I wouldn't get a mat leave so thats not ideal.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 3:50pm
When I had my first daughter we moved to a new state. I had wanted to go to work but the cost of childcare for her was $800/mo, in addition to the gas for me to get to work, my dry cleaning bill, tolls, and parking (because i would be working downtown and there were no parking for any of the places I interviewed), on top of regular maintenance (nails, hair, professional upkeep) my take home would have been $200 if I got paid what I was asking for salary. We decided to get rid of cable and clip coupons and ended up saving more than I would have brought home. I also started a direct sale home base business to get out of the house and that brings in a little extra.

I would love to go back to work but I think that I will wait until all of my kids are in school. My DH is deployed often and we move every 3 years so there is no way we would be able to "cover" for each other with shift changes. It sucks not having something for me but I wouldn't trade being home with my kids for anything.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 2:59pm
Luckily DH and I work opposite shifts (it's been that way since long before kids came along), so he's with DD all day while I work. I get off at 5 and he starts at 5:30 so we meet in his parking lot and swap. It works great most of the time. I couldn't imagine having to pay for childcare though. He works in a restaurant and brings home about $600/month plus tips, so I'm pretty sure that if we didn't have the schedule we have, one of us (most likely him since I make a lot more) would have to just stay home. I really don't know how a lot of families do it, especially if they have more than 1 kid in daycare!
Photobucket