Circumcision

Community Leader
Circumcision
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 3:30pm
I put this here because I'm not sure how much of a hot topic this is. I am having my first son an I have been discussing this with dh and some family members. I wanted to know their thoughts. I was born in England and it's not common practice there. I want to do what's right for my son being born and raised here. What are your thoughts on it? I went to nursing school and I know a lot say that cleanliness is a big issue.....thoughts?

Wendy

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 4:12pm
We didn't have our son circumcised. There is a slightly higher risk for a UTI but a slightly higher risk isn't worth unnecessary surgery in my opinion. Girls have a even higher risk then uncircumcised boys. My husband and I watched Penn and Teller's BS episode about it (found it online) when we were trying to decide a couple years ago.
bigbro
Community Leader
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 4:21pm
I haven't seen it. Are they pro circumcision?

Wendy

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 5:26pm

We chose not to circumcise our son when he was born.

~~ Heather ~~
~~ Emma Michelle 7/27/03 ~~
~~ Brendan Frederick 9/29/05 ~~
~~ Jocelyn Martha 6/5/12 ~~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 12:45am
We'll have to make the decision too. If anyone has good resources, I'd love the research. My mom's opinion is that you should because, her words, "they look funny and are never clean". Yep, amazing reasoning. I am a scientist and am working in a health related field, I want more to go on then it looks funny, like real, reproducible research. I think they may have botched my nephew's and hope it doesn't have to be redone. I told dh that it's mostly his decision but I do want to ask when we find a ped (there's only one clinic in town) or family doc.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 7:05am
If we ever have a boy he will not be circumcised. The only reason that i cant justify by other means (like some say its cleaner to have it done.. i will teach him to clean it properly, he will look different to other boys.. why are boys checking each other out? and over here it is not the norm to be c anyways..) is that it might cause problems later on.. the way i see it is an appendix could cause problems later one.. im not about to cut it out of my infant. Each to his own but for me there is no reason to actually do it
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 11:45am
Well, if we ever have a boy I would not, but I don't know if DH will agree. My thoughts are , that it is one of the only Cosmestic surgeries covered by insurance without a medical reason. And really not necessary in my opinion. If you are worried about them not looking like daddy I can see doing it but frankly who's going to be looking down there? Cerainly not classmates & peers.
Community Leader
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 1:25pm
Thanks for everyone's opinion

Wendy

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 4:26pm
Wendy, I would think they wouldn't mention looking at another guys stuff. Guess that's why I am a girl, we don't check each other out, or at least don't admit it.lol
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 6:07pm
DH and I feel that circumcision is a cultural tradition (and important for some people) but it is not medically necessary and we will not circumcise our male offspring. I was relieved when the circumcision brochure at the hospital was revised to specifically state that it is not medically necessary.

I know this may sound inflammatory to some people -- but circumcision is just another form of genital mutilation. Some cultures do it to girls and it causes outrage. But it is more "socially-acceptable" when done to boys.

The website circumcision.org keeps track of studies showing negative effects of circumcision. I don't think all of the studies are scientifically solid (such as ones showing psychological impact of circumcision), but the ones that focus on medical necessity (or lack thereof) of circumcision are what I would deem reproducible (I spent 6 years as a research scientist / PhD).

Apologies for getting a bit hot-headed on the topic. I just know that I would be very upset with a doctor who performs an unnecessary medical procedure on me for any reason, and I don't want my kids in that situation either.

If a parent feels that the social stigma and teasing on being uncircumcised is more damaging than circumcision, that is their decision for their child. Kids will find reasons to tease each other anyway and they all have to learn to deal with it in their own right.

Perfection is optional

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-07-2012 - 4:47am
Definitely not something I would have done. How common it is depends on the area of the country but really, how often are little boys or grown men lined up and compared?
DH is not circumcised and no it's not dirty or anything. DS is intact as well and the baby will be too.
The one plus I know of is that circumcision makes it less likely to get a yeast infection... my nephew is circumcised for that reason, but despite our struggles with that DH doesn't feel the need to get it done, nor did BIL (whose son is circumcised). Basically, if someday one of my sons think the benefits are worth it they can have it done.
I respect that some people do it for religious reasons, but what was done then was very different from what is done now. In the Bible Moses' wife circumcises his sons herself with a sharp knife in a matter of minutes. It was just cutting off a piece of the foreskin, not removing it entirely.
That's my two cents. :)
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/

Pages