Co-Sleeping Ad Angers Parents

iVillage Member
Co-Sleeping Ad Angers Parents
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 12:10pm

Would you ever tuck your baby into bed cuddled up next to a butcher knife? No? Then why are you co-sleeping with her? That's the message in somealarming public service ads

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 3:39pm
Totally ridiculous and not factually accurate. I will cosleep with this one as I did with both my other kids. What a stupid ad. Babies die in cribs all the time. Don't sleep with your baby drunk, but cosleeping is not dangerous !
Caryn
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 5:10pm

I don't plan to co-sleep, but it's a personal decision. I also had a

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 7:13pm

I don't co sleep. Never have and never will. except for the time it takes to BF them- I do that asleep, but then put them back.

I think for some co sleeping is fine. I think as long as people know their limitations it is fine, no drugs (even OTC), no alcohol, and no that if you sleep super heavy you shouldn't do it (ME!).

My husband and I have actually hurt each other sleeping...A baby? omg no. bad idea.

My 3 yr old when through this period where he would climb in bed with me, um no. Not with me not knowing he is even there. I could have killed him.

All that being said...The ad is awful, awful awful.

Community Leader
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 7:28pm

This is such a tough subject...

Wendy

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 2:58pm
We co-slept with both boys. I am such a ridiculously light sleeper that I literally wake up when the baby sighs lol. And DH is a stone in his sleep and hardly moves. It works for us, and I think as long as people are smart about it it's good.

Another thing, I wake up every single night if I even move my arm. I'm that light of a sleeper. Any shift in movement I make I wake up, when I roll over, when I bring my arm down, shift my feet anything. It makes me really tired all the time lol. Seriously, the last night I slept through the night without waking up at least once, was when I was 6months pregnant with my first. And that was because I was on my feet ALL DAY LONG at a U2 concert and when we got back to the Hotel I literally did not move a muscle till the next morning lol.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 3:02pm
There's no way I would ever even consider co-sleeping. Bassinet/crib/whatever next to the bed, great. But not IN the bed. We have a small (full) bed that barely fits DH & me, I'm a very heavy sleeper, and you eventually have to kick the kid OUT of your bed! No thank you.
You don't have to be drunk or whatever to have something horrible happen.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 3:03pm
We have a co-sleeper crib that attaches to our bed, so there is absolutely no way I can roll over into that crib, my big ass just won't fit.lol My youngest didn't like to cuddle until she was able to climb out of her crib at about 15mos. Then she started climbing in bed with us. So we still sleep with her. My oldest was in our bed from day 1 until she was 3. I think it is the right choice for some but maybe not for others but that ad is just over the top, it just angers me. Most of the co-sleepers I know do not have blankets or fluffy pillows on their beds and they use a side arm sleeper. The Ad clearly misrespresents what co-sleeping actually is.
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 9:09pm
Well considering how high their infant mortality rate is and how many of those deaths have stemmed from irresponsible co-sleeping, I don't think the ads are too much. It's obvious that a big portion of their populace is unaware of the dangers of co-sleeping without the appropriate safeguards. Seems to me that Wisconsin is going to extremes to protect their babies. I can't find fault with that.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 9:46pm

That is a horrible and sad story... but to equate that with cosleeping in general is just not right.

Caryn
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 10:12pm

The ad was created to grab attention and that's apparently exactly what it did! Although co-sleeping is a personal choice there are a LOT of people out there (some high numbers in Milwaukee) who don't go about it responsibly and end up with the death of their infant. I think the message is out there to grab people's attention and educate. I don't feel like it was trying to say you're a terrible person if you cosleep. If it saves the life of one infant then I believe

Pages