Drinking in Early Pregnancy?

iVillage Member
Drinking in Early Pregnancy?
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 9:55am

A study published in the obstetrics and gynecology journal BJOG found that, indeed,

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 8:56pm

I don't know...I don't think a sip of champagne would cause irrepairable damage but I would draw the line there. I wouldn't be comfortable having a drink a day when I wasn't pregnant, much less when I was.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 5:25pm
I think environmental factors are going to decide (cant think of any other word haha) if your child is well behaved or not. Not how much alcohol you drink during pregnancy.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 6:29pm

I won't drink during pregnancy, but I doubt a few drinks would hurt. Daily seems too much, but one drink once in a while wouldn't expose the baby to alcohol long term. I can't bring myself to take that risk. This week, I really wanted a beer, but didn't. If the baby had unexplained problems later, like a learning disability, I'd always blame myself and just couldn't handle it. So no alcohol for me.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-08-2011 - 2:15am

There was a time when the whole country of England could not drink the water.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 8:46pm
I agree with you Asia. My friend's SIL is German and ocasionally drank while pregnant. However I hate alcohol and can't stand the taste of it so I wouldn't drink pregnant or not.
bigbro
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 8:08pm
This summer dh and I visited some of my British friends. He got to learn just how much they can drink. We went out on a work night and my friends had at least 2 and 4 (driver and boyfriend) imperial pints (20 oz; that's 80 oz of beer) and probably could have had another but we had to turn in early.
For me, I'm trying to not drink during at least the first tri. I've already had a couple of sips here and there. But I'm a homebrewer, I love beer. So, I may have some in "non-intoxicating amounts" later in my pregnancy. Flip side, I do work in special ed, so that does have the effect of caution on all I do that could cause difficulties down the road.
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 7:38am
I can't believe iVillage would publish something like that. I actually had a few drinks after 20th week so I'm no prude, but I have to seriously disagree with this. My boyfriend had two missing fingers (See: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1244420-overview) which is a type of Syndactyly (congenital defect of the limbs). He's had to go through multiple surgeries to get three working fingers.

After a good bit of research during my first pregnancy (making sure it wasn't genetic), it turns out it's environmental. That could be fluke, drugs, smoking or alcohol. I know most of you know better, but please don't drink until the second trimester. My BF was shaking during the 20 week u/s because he was terrified his child would have a deformed hand too.

Sorry to rant, but consuming anything that's harsh on your body when you have a child forming vital organs and limbs just seems irresponsible.
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-28-2011 - 9:08pm

I definitely don't plan to drink during the first trimester and most likely not at all...my mom keeps telling me its ok to have one glass of wine occasionally after the first trimester but I'm a little scared to! I'd rather not do anything to harm my baby, especially because if I found out something was "wrong" with them, I'd always feel guilty.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 3:30pm

So if we drink more we have well behaved kids?

Wendy