Home births

iVillage Member
Home births
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 2:49pm

I am actually NOT looking to start a hot topic here, but I know that some people freak out at the idea of birthing a baby at home, so I'm being cautious.

I'm wondering if there are any other homebirthers here, or moms who plan to use a midwife, doula, birthing center, waterbirth, or other "atypical' birthing setting?

I tried to homebirth my 6 yr old DD, but I was in hard labor with her for 72 hours.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 8:28pm

I'm not into going doctor-free; I like the comfort of knowing someone with malpractice insurance is on hand if something goes wrong :) I am considering using a doula. The hospital has one on staff in the maternity ward and she's available for anyone that needs her. I had a fairly serious tear last time and I am going to try EVERYTHING to keep that from happening again. It was 10 weeks before I could sit normally last time! OUCH!

We're very lucky in that our hospital offers many of the alternative birthing equipment you'd find in a clinic. Our suite will have a jacuzzi tub, a birthing ball, a squat bar, and pretty much whatever you ask for. It's kind of nice!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 11:00pm

What will help you from tearing is staying upright during the delivery.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 8:22am

I agree with what asia said. Don't do the episiotomy (spelling? sorry). If you're going to tear, you're going to tear. Getting cut only means you'll a larger tear, because it will continue to

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 5:38pm

I didn't have an episiotomy but I did push on my back...that hospital had no other option and it was my first baby so I didn't know to ask! LOL! This time I hope to push in a squatting position....hopefullly the docs will be on board.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2011 - 11:29am
I would love to have a HBA2C, but not sure if I can get hubby on board with that. We may go the middle route and go to the birth center. Waterbirth is what I want the most! I don't think ANY hospitals here allow that at all, so a Home birth or at birth center is only option for that.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-14-2011 - 8:05pm
I used a midwife at the hospital for my son and will do the same for this one. I like the security of knowing that there are doctors around if something goes wrong suddenly.

Asia are you going to have a certified nurse midwife assist you? Just curious.
bigbro
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 12:37am

We did a midwife and doula assisted home birth with our 7th baby and then we attempted an unassisted with #8 due to my midwife moving away and she was the only one in my area, plus I was very much against going back to the hospital, but ended up at there due to her being breech and my dh and I had agreed to go to the hospital if anything but a head was presenting. There is now a new midwife close to us and I really like her. She actually had her babies on The Farm (with Ina May Gaskin) and she is seems awesome and I am really excited!!

I absolutley loved my homebirth and learned so much about myself and birth through that experience!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 10:39pm

Wow, a midwife from The Farm, how awesome!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 11:07pm

I'm going to have my 6 year old daughter assist me.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 12:25am

I plan to give birth in a hospital however I am interested in possibly having a doula. We plan to pay for a private suite so there will be a lot of options for staying upright during labor as all of my BTDT friends have told me that's the way to go if possible. Hoping to get an Ob that is on board with allowing me to do what I want to during labor as long as the baby isn't in distress. Now that this topic has been addressed, I'm a LITTLE freaked out about the labor process.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pages