Nursing in Public w/o cover up

iVillage Member
Nursing in Public w/o cover up
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 2:08pm

I was just in a discussion on Facebook about this, and thought I'd see what you guys think of this.

Photobucket

<

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 2:54pm
I am on the other side of this. I feel very uncomfortable around women who are nursing their babies in public, even covered up.
I do think that moms should be able to nurse where and when, but I think that they should also consider other's feelings and cover up at least! I know it is natural and I plan to breastfeed, but I think it is something that should be private between the mother and the child...not the mother and the world.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 3:58pm

I have nursed all 6 of my kids and plan on this one as well. I dont use a cover up any more. I did in the past but I cant tell you how many times people think the baby is sleeping and will lift the cover up and get an eye full. I have had children and adults do this to me. I understand people being upset when people show all when nuring.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 5:15pm

I agree.

I nursed my son in public until he was a little over a year (nursed him until 22 months).

In the beginning I would cover up but by the time he could grab it...what was the point. We were both more comfortable not.

One day at my daughters soccer game right around his first birthday I was covered (mostly from cold he is an october baby) and my daughters coach came over to say something to me. Aiden pulled the cover off, let go and looked at the coach...while I sat there with my boob hanging out. I adjusted myself and covered up. Later apologized to the coach and he hadn't even noticed.

And in my home...unless someone bothered me...I never ever covered up. I don't let many people in that make me uncomfortable so thats easy enough.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 6:01pm

If you can be discreet about it then I say go ahead and eschew the cover-up. BUT, if you're one of those exhibitionist mammas who like to flash the world because you can or because you're trying to prove a point then I say, enough of all that. I have no problems with nursing in public. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, just wistful that I never got to enjoy such moments. The pump isn't quite so heartwarming! :)

That being said, when I was still trying to get E to "take it from the tap" I tried NIP a time or two and found it difficult to hide the gals while trying to get her latched properly. I guess it takes practice.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 6:37pm

I do agree with you that some women are NOT nursing they are flashing. If you wear the right shirts and big enough you can hide everything and not even cover up.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 7:05pm
Well, I have NIP and I covered up. It was a pain, but I was new to nursing. I wouldn't drape the new baby in cloth unless the shirt I was wearing didn't drape enough to cover me. But that's a personal preference. I think that nursing is a natural thing. It wouldn't bother me if someone else nursed without covering up. I wouldn't be rude and stare. I might even get tired of covering up myself. My son was born in the winter and I only nursed him for seven months, so I never had the chance to NIP when it was hot out. That's probably going to make the difference this time around.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 9:06pm
I nursed in public with my son both with and without a cover. It really depended on his age. When he was a newborn and I was new to nursing then I always used the cover. But once he got wiggly it was just a struggle with him over keeping him covered. I also believe that if you're going to exclusively breastfeed nursing in public is going to happen otherwise when they're a newborn you'll constantly be stuck in a little room or a car or wherever you'd go when you're out all alone.
bigbro
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 9:26pm

I've nursed in public with both my kids... I was a little more hesitant the first time around, but I would drape a shawl over me most of the time.

~~ Heather ~~
~~ Emma Michelle 7/27/03 ~~
~~ Brendan Frederick 9/29/05 ~~
~~ Jocelyn Martha 6/5/12 ~~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 12:25am

I would put the baby in the Baby Bjorn carrier facing me, and wear a button down shirt so I could open just enough to get the boob out for the baby.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2011 - 4:38am
I think its absolutely fine if thats what mum is comfortable doing - the baby's head covers enough boob imo
Photobucket

Pages