BF mamas- pumping ?

iVillage Member
BF mamas- pumping ?
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 12:50am
For all of you who are BF, especially the EBF mamas- are you pumping? And if so, when are you pumping?

I'm EBF but my jellybean will be starting daycare in a couple weeks and I haven't started pumping yet. This JB nurses so much during the day that I don't think I'd get much if I pumped during the day. And then I'm too tired to pump at night. What's your pumping schedule?
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 1:25am
I am EBF and pumping. In the hospital they started me pumping. It was feed the JB and then pump for 5-10 mins. That wasn't practical for long. Now, I actually have issues with oversupply (actually, it's not a good thing) which led to mastitis, so if I go too long or skip a feeding, I have to pump. I get the most in the morning, right after the first "morning", aka feeding when it's light out. If I'm still engorged or have a hard spot in my boob right after feeding, I'll pump for a few mins. If I give JB a bottle, I make sure to pump 1 hour +/- the feeding. I often get more milk pumping then I give in a bottle so then I build up a little extra. I know this isn't the case with many people. I also find that it helps to choose a time when dh is home so I can nurse then hand JB over to dh to diaper and sooth before JB sleeps since it makes for a long session and it seems like it starts all over again within a few mins. Sorry, that got wordy.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 1:22pm
I am EBF. I pumped the whole time she was in he NICU wih a hospital grade pump but once she came home there was no need to as I do not work out of the home. With my other children I did pump and built up a supply. By the time I returned to work I had a 6mo supply of frozen BM for her but she was on a prescription formula so I had to trash it all. Sorry I ran away with that, I pumped after I nursed. She fed every 4 hrs, so I would feed, then pump 2hrs later, then feed 2hrs after that, etc. It is very time consuming, I found that having a schedule help with over supply issues.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 2:01am

I am kind of sporadic with my pumping.  In the beginning after coming home I just pumped whenever I was really engorged, now I have a supply so if I go out for a little bit and I come back and he has just eaten I will pump then so it's like I didn't really miss the feeding.  I don't pump too much just in the regular day although I should but I am worried about engorgement issues for when I return to work if I do the feed then 2 hours later pump then 2 hours later feed.  Plus we are not really on a feeding schedule here yet, sometimes it's 3 hours sometimes it's 4 and sometimes (knock on wood and hate me now) he sleeps through the night and it's 7 hours!  I do sometimes pump in the morning after first feeding because he won't take very much and I still feel full.  My baby takes about 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours and most times if I pump I can get almost 2 feedings!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 10:14am
I am pumping 3 times a day right now. I pump when I know he will have a long nap so in the morning and late afternoon, and then one last time before bed. The last pump session I do while DH is feeding Will a bottle, I like to make sure Will has a good amount in his tummy so he sleeps good and this also gives DH an opportunity to feed.

I have a small supply built up but hopefully when I return to work, I can pump the supply for the following day.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 3:41pm

I know how you feel! Though I'm not returning to work, I'm also having a hard time pumping.  I pumped alot while we were out of town for my sister's wedding, but I am also way too exhausted with 2 kiddos to pump consistently.  It's sooo time consuming! I want to build up a supply so I can go have my mommy days and date my hubby again :smileyhappy:

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 4:00pm
I'm a sahm but I do want to start pumping soon and teach Obi how to take a bottle.
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 5:35pm
I pumped when I had mastitis but other than that I haven't really done much except when she takes a bottle. I'm not going back to work full time just a few hours here and there and I already have enough stocked away to feel confidant that there is plenty while I'm gone.
With my son I was going back to work full time so I pumped most mornings while feeding him on one side. I built up a nice freezer stash but I have always had an oversupply of breastmilk. In fact I stopped pumping when my son was 12 months but he got breastmilk at daycare until he was 18 months! And I had to throw some extra away since it only stays fresh for about 6 months in the freezer.
bigbro
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 10:14pm
With DD, I had a huge stash but I can't remember how I found the time to make that stash. But I got myself to pump early this morning and got almost five ounces and was very proud of myself. But then JB woke up about an hour later to nurse and I felt guilty thinking there wasn't much for her except that she was slurping away making all those swallowing noises so I guess all is good. Now I've got to go buy some storage bags.