Braxton Hicks....anyone?!?

iVillage Member
Braxton Hicks....anyone?!?
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 1:50pm

Okay, so you would guess that I would remember because I've BTDT...but my memory is failing me right now. All I can find online is that it's "like" labor contractions and it starts mid-pregnancy.

I do remember my labor pains starting from my back and coming around. However, I don't know if what I'm feeling is just my imagination or if it's braxton hicks. Sometimes it feels like the baby has suddenly balled up in on spot and feels heavier then normal. Which I know is impossible because she weighs the same as normal but still it feels weird. And I don't know if that is braxton hicks or

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 2:00pm

From what I understand Braxton Hicks can be different for everyone.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 3:41pm

I tend to start having contractions early. I have them now about 1 an hour. I will mention it at my next appt but usually the drs aren't too concerned unless you have more than 5-6 an hour.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 9:10pm
Actually, this is my first and I've been noticing what I assumed was "normal" bh for the last few weeks and I'm only 24 weeks. To me it just feels like an area gets tight. I get them fairly regularly, especially this week after zumba.

Well, I went to my first birthing class, and others (and the nurse) confirmed that's what I was feeling. Then she went into talking about early labor signs and what contractions are supposed to do... I also thought about the ladies on here on bedrest with shorten cervixs. So, I called to ask my OB what to do/monitor/look for. They actually asked me to come in right away; which scared me a bit. I didn't have any other signs or symptoms and I had been drinking good water (dehydration can be a cause too). They did an ultrasound to make sure my cervix was still at a good length, it was. We actually saw a tightened uterus on the ultrasound when the little man was dancing on my cervix. They also tested for viral and bacterial infections (I have had yeast infections without knowing it at my yearlies, so that's why they tested without other signs) which can irritate the uterus and cause contractions. All came back ok, so the bh are just bh and nothing to worry about. But they did make a bigish deal about it before we knew my "normal". They'll do an ultrasound in 4 weeks to check the length of the cervix again. I'm ok with the extra sneak peak, although it is with the dildo cam, darn.

With my long story, sorry, just make sure to let your OB know if you have any other symptoms with your bh (which in my very limited knowledge sounds like you might be having) or as pp said, having a lot, frequently. They might want to rule out preterm labor.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 9:11pm

I don't think ur crazy at all!! I have had what I thought was Braxton Hicks contractions off and on.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 9:59pm
I totally have contractions. They get intense sometimes, almost like the baby has jammed his/her feet into one part of me and is stretching or something. I'm not worrying about it because they're neither painful nor regular. I'll worry if either one happens.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 6:44am
I've started having contractions when I stand up recently. Not really painful or even uncomfortable, just feels like my stomach going tight. Earlier than before but he's my third so that's to be expected.
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 11:15am

I have BH episodes at least once a day now.

Karen

Wife to Shelton and

Mom to Gabby(4/98), Suzie(11/99), Barbara(7/05), and #4 due April 24, 09

Cecilia Rose was born at 5:11 pm on April 27, 2009.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 3:24pm
This is my 1st so I can't speak with full confidence, but I've been having the type of BH that feel like real label, the kind that tighten across your back and lower abdomen, and the ones where she just feels tightly balled up or very heavy. Because both types were occuring and the painful ones were really consistently attention grabbing my midwife told me that there really isn't a lot I can do but call them and get checked out.

As for the pain below your boobs, my girl went through a few days where she wanted to lay sideways arcross my stomach and hurt along my side. I could feel her head and her but on either side and it was SO painful. Of course she wants to lay like that as I want to lay down and go to sleep which was almost impossible. Fotunately I think she's too big now to do that. Your girl may not necessarily being kicking that spot as just resting on it like how your elbow gets sore from leaning on it too long.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2012 - 2:32pm
My first son liked to lie transverse, especially when I got in certain positions, and it was very painful. Glad you are over that stage now.
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/
Community Leader
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 9:42am
It's funny that you ladies mention the transverse baby...because Emma has been sitting that way since the beginning. And I have had the tightening for a couple of months if I stood for too long. Bed rest does help so many things

Wendy

Pages