Chemical Pregnancy - any way to know for sure?

iVillage Member
Chemical Pregnancy - any way to know for sure?
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 11:21am

Last cycle I tested about 2 days early and got a very faint BFP, then I tested every day after that and the line did not get darker, it actually got lighter by the 4th day I tested. AF ended up showing 4 days late. I assumed I ovulated late and the tests were faulty, but I'm starting to wonder if I had a Chemical Pregnancy? Is there really anyway to tell? I know false positives are ridiculously rare, but what about faulty strips? I have the basic strips, no tests from the store, just the little cardboard stick...do they actually go bad? I mean they are at least 4yr old, I used them while TTC #2 in 2008

Anyway, I was just wondering what the likelihood of my strips being old/faulty.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 12:07pm

I think tests can go bad, I bought some internet strips this month and they have an expiration date of 2013 which is only two years away. But, I don't know if bad strips would yield a false positive. You could have very well had a chemical pregnancy, I had one a few months ago. Buy some new strips! Or FRER's! I got my + yesterday on a First Response (FRER) and it was very clear, but my internet strips had a barely there line. What I do, is test with my cheapies until I see anything, and then use a FRER. Good luck!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 12:13pm
Thanks, I figure I'll try to hold off till after AF is due this time around lol, test with my strips and see if it shows anything, then with an actual store bought test :)

Good to know they actually have an expiration date! I bet if I actually looked it'd be printed on my tests package! lol

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 12:17pm

Good luck! Sending P&PT to you!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 10:15am
I agree and think that a test can go bad. I took 2 from a cheap-o box, both negative. Then the more expensive one was Positive (all were like 3 weeks after the missed cycle, so i know that wasn't it!)

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 12:01am

I believe you had a chemical pregnancy. Your story sounds just like mine from 2 cycles ago. What was your AF like? Mine came with the most intense, contraction-like pains, I couldn't move and I was crying coz it hurt so much! Mine was 2 days late. I also tested early and got a faint positive, then all negatives after that. I also had many pregnancy symptoms. I believe there are no such things as false positives. I believe the positive at that moment was real, but then it didn't stick, hence becoming negative.

Sorry to hear about your story, and good luck now :)

Liz

My name is Liz and I am a 33yo from Australia. I have an 8yo DS who I spent 15 months TTC with my ex (got pregnant the month I gave up!). I am now married and my DH and I had a blighted ovum 2 years ago and a couple of early m/cs since. We are now pregnant again and have our fingers crossed!