Insurance woes and worried I'm not gaining enough weight...

iVillage Member
Insurance woes and worried I'm not gaining enough weight...
Tue, 02-28-2012 - 10:49pm

Sorry I've been MIA lately. Just the usual goings on of full-time work while being pregnant and trying to prepare for a baby. Seems like it leaves little time or energy for anything else. Well, my first woe is having to do with my insurance at work. My best and basically only perk at my job is no longer.... I got fully paid health ins. for me and DH and since it came up for renewal this year the boss said they've raised the rates 35% this year and he'll no longer be able to completely pay for it all. So, we had the choice to keep the plan we have and pay $75/pp a month or switch to a lesser plan and he'd still pay it all. Well, with my current condition, we decided the best thing to do was pay the extra and stay with my current plan. The plan I have has a $2000 deductible/year and I have to pay 10% of inpatient/outpatient services. The lesser plan was going to have a $5000 ded. and I'd pay 20%. So, it would potentially be thousands difference during my pregnancy and delivery depending on what happened. I know, $150/month for ins. isn't bad, but it was basically the best part of my job and I feel like I've lost it. Plus, I really didn't want another bill now - (like anyone does.) And I was so stressed during the whole thing that I forgot to send in our house payment and had to pay a late fee....grrrrr.......

Second rant, I'm worried I'm not gaining enough weight. I've only gained 10 lbs. so far and am in my 22nd week. I'm a first timer so I'm probably just overly worried...But, I read you should gain 3lbs/month now, and I've haven't gained anything for 3 weeks. I'm worried when I go to my dr. next Mon. I'll have gained nothing in a month. Is this normal? How much have you all gained, if you don't mind me asking? I do feel the baby moving every day. I'm just worried.

April

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
sorry your dealing with insurance issues.. at least you have insurance and can afford it. some arent so lucky :-/ On the weight issue I think your gaining fine. Im 26 weeks and since I got pregnant Ive lost 22 lbs and at my appt today I have finally gained just 3 of it back so im still technically down 18 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight but ive finally gained. I wouldnt be worried. :-)
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
It sucks about having to pay for the insurance now but it sounds pretty good and trust me you want insurance. The weight, I have only gained a total of 5lbs and I am 24wks. As long as the baby is developing and you are taking care of yourself don't focus on the weight #. In fact in the 70s &80s they recommended that women only gain 15 lbs total while pregnant and we all turned out fine.
iVillage Member

Sorry you are going through all the ins. stuff. Seems pretty much on track with what we pay if not a little less. As far as the weight gain, I have gained 12 pounds myself and my dr. said I am right on track so try not to worry about that but discuss your concern with your Dr. at your next appt.

Pregnancy%20ticker
Community Leader
I'm sorry you're dealing with insurance issues.. I completely understand. Our insurance changed right when we found out we were having trips. It doesnt cover pharmacy stuff and there's now a huge deductible..plus obvious other things they won't cover and knowing I'm high risk..it's stressful Like the other girls said don't worry about your weight. Drs would let you know if it was an issue

Wendy

iVillage Member
That stinks about the insurance change. Having an extra bill now is not something you want to deal with while planning for a baby.
As for the weight, I have gained ~9-10 pounds so far and am 23 weeks so right on track with you. In my last pregnancy I gained about 40 pounds total (didn't know my true starting weight) and my doctor didn't say anything to me about weight until the last few weeks. And at that point all he said was that I might want to start thinking about it because I'll want to lose it all later. There are so many different recommendations out there and every doctor looks at it differently but you seem to be right on track to me in my non-medical opinion.

Cynthia

iVillage Member

Don't worry over weight gain.

Karen

Wife to Shelton and

Mom to Gabby(4/98), Suzie(11/99), Barbara(7/05), and #4 due April 24, 09

Cecilia Rose was born at 5:11 pm on April 27, 2009.

iVillage Member
Boo for insurance issues!!! As far as the weight thing goes, I wouldn't worry about not gaining enough unless you were underweight before. I'm loving the fact that m still down 12 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. The less you gain now, the less you'll have to lose later, within reason of course. The doctors will let you know if there's a problem.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thanks for all your replies and support. I know I shouldn't be complaining too much about the ins., but I feel like I lost the best perk my job had. I only get 1 week paid vacation a year, no maternity leave, no sick leave, no personal days - that was my biggest perk. I'll probably have close to 40 vacation hrs. saved once I take leave but now I feel like it's all going to have to go toward paying my insurance while I'm gone. :( Just feels like it defeats the purpose. I know in my head it's actually saving me money on the delivery and such, but I still just feel bleah about it.

Thanks too for the reassurance about my weight. I am eating really healthy - so I think that's keeping me at that steady pace.

Thanks again, April
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member

Weight is such an individual thing - it all depends on your height, what you weighed pre-pregnancy, how you've been eating, and ultimately what your body does during pregnancy.

Some people have gained a little or a lot, but there's so many factors that affect that.

I'm 5'7 and was underweight at 115 when I got pregnant. I'm about 133 now, so that's around 18 pounds that I've gained. I exercise regularly and eat lots of veggies, fruits, etc. My doctor is happy with my weight gain, so I'm just going to stick with what I'm doing and hope for the best.

As long as your doctor is ok with it, I say it's ok.

BabyFruit Ticker