Jury Duty at 37 weeks

iVillage Member
Jury Duty at 37 weeks
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 7:48pm
Well, I just got a summons for jury duty for the end of May. I'll be 37 weeks at that point. I'm not sure what to do. Under normal circumstances, I would go and sit if needed. I've only been called a few times before and then, I wasn't needed, didn't even have to go in. But I worry about even sitting there for hours waiting for my number to be called. It's still 5 weeks away and I am already peeing at least every hour. From what I can find, I could potentially get a medical postponement with a note from my OB. But that has to be submitted and received 5 days prior. I could wait and call the night before. I could go in and wait. If I postpone that means I could, probably would be summoned after I have the baby. Which is better? How proactive should I be? In the back of my mind is my mother telling me I'll only go to 38 weeks. There's a huge family history of early deliveries; my sister's 2 (both 10 days early), all 4 of Mom's (2 weeks early), and my maternal grandmother (all of her 5 were 2 weeks early). But my doctor insists there is no correlation. At least school will have jut gotten out so I won't have to worry about work. Has anyone been through this? What's your experience? I've seen other boards that roast the person asking the question. I'm just looking for the smartest course of action. I am not trying to get out of my civic duty, just figure out what is best for all involved.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 9:22pm

Sister, if ever there's a good reason to get out of jury duty, it's being 37 weeks pregnant!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 11:06pm
Ask your OB...I'm sure that you're not the first patient to have this dilemma. Surely she'll know what to do.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 11:24pm
I'd call the court house. I was summoned for jury duty while I was working and pumping. I went on my assigned day but when they found out I was pumping they excused me. They couldn't guarantee that they could break enough for me to pump and since I was breastfeeding only they wanted to make sure that my baby was fed.

So explain your condition to the court and they'll probably tell you to not worry about coming in on your assigned day. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Rose

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 8:46am
Call them, there is not even a guarantee that you will be available that day, you could go early. They need to know in case you are a no show and they will probably excuse you.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 2:51pm
I'm in a similar situation. I got summoned for the week of May 14, which will be 33 weeks for me. So far I've never even had to go. I call in and my number doesn't get called. With my luck I probably will this time lol, but I'm hoping that if it does and I go and they see how huge I am that they will want to get me out of there right away lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 4:15pm
I was summoned for Jury Duty when I was pregnant with my 1st and on the back of the summons it said I'd be excused for Pregnancy (there was like a list of all the reasons someone may be excused. I signed the postcard they sent and gave my reasoning and sent it back in, and didn't have to worry about it. I haven't been recalled as of yet, and that was 3 years ago. I bet even if you did go ahead and go, they'd send you home immediately once they see how far along you are. Even if you are recalled, I doubt it will be anytime soon, so I'd call them and also get a note from your OB just so you have a paper trail.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 8:35pm
Personally I would prefer to go in pregnant then have to worry about finding care and being seperated from my newborn. So if your choice is at 37 weeks or with a newborn I'd go in at 37 weeks. I've never had to do jury duty though so I don't know exactly about the experience but I did work until 41 weeks with my first and it wasn't too bad.
bigbro
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2012 - 5:30pm
I agree that jury duty while pregnant (no matter how pregnant) sounds a lot more workable than jury duty when you have a newborn. Worst case scenario, you've just given birth (and you get out of it), are in the hospital (and get out of it), or go into labor while there (and leave).
Photobucket

http://reconciledtogod.blogspot.com/