ADHD Medication

iVillage Member
ADHD Medication
Sat, 11-03-2012 - 4:12pm

I am ADHD and take Adderall XR... well I did until I found out I was pregnant.  I stopped taking when I found out I was pregnant with DD(2) and did fine.  I was wondering if any of you took any during any previous pregnancies or know of anyone who did and how the children are now.  There are no studies on how it affects children long term who's mother's took it while pregnant. 

With this pregnancy I have no energy and can not focus on anything to safe my life which is extremely hard since I am in my last sememster of classes, am working plus trying to take care of my two kiddos and house work.  I don't know if it's just the pregnancy or if it's a combination of that plus not having a thyroid and depending solely on thyroid medications to function. 

Anyway, wondering what you ladies thought about taking this kind of drug during pregnancy.  My OBG isn't against it so I want to make sure that I make the right decision for myself and this baby... Even if I decide to only take it on occasion to help me get things done.. or to keep my anxiety low on days that DH is working a 12 hour shift leaving me with two kids by myself (DS (8) is ADHD and possibly Asperger's so he's difficult at times).

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-04-2012 - 2:06pm

My opinion is if your OB isn't against it and you need it take it. I don't like taking meds while pregnant but there are sometimes you just have to. Maybe start out by taking it on those high stress days and see how much it helps and then you can decide if you want to take it more often.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-15-2012 - 11:11pm
Well I quit my job and my anxiety level is waaaay lower. I think I was just stretched too thin... in a few weeks classes will be done so that will be another load off my shoulders.