Does anyone else deal with anxiety issues?

iVillage Member
Does anyone else deal with anxiety issues?
Sat, 10-27-2012 - 8:58am

Hi ladies,

I'm dealing with something that is not real easy right now and I am wondering if anyone else has these issues. Anxiety has been an issue for me during postpartum depression. I had my first panic attack after my second daughter was born and since then it has been a regular part of the postpartum experience for me. Anti-depressants work, I usually am fine after they have time to kick in. But it's not fun for the few days until that happens. 

I deal with anxiety at other times too, but not usually panic attacks, I can usually handle it fine and keep myself from going too far down (or else it is just easier to control at those times). Not sure which. But with the surprise of this pregnancy, our lives in huge transition as we prepare to move overseas, and all the worry I have over dealing with the stres of the change, I have been dealing with anxiety almost every evening. Usually I can ignore it to the point that I can get to sleep and everything looks better in the morning. But last night I had a panic attack, the first one I've ever had during pregnancy, and it was scary. It took forever to get to sleep last night and I didn't sleep well (not getting enough sleep seems to then make it worse for me, so this might be a viscious cycle). And for the first time things did not look better in the morning. 

I'm not sure what my treatment options are during pregnancy, I've never had to pursue actual medical treatment while being pregnany, only afterwards. I'll definitely be talking to a doctor though because I can't live like this for 9 months. Things could possibly get better when I start physically feeling better, but that also is still a few weeks off. I just wondered if this is something anyone else has dealt with. It would be nice to know I'm not alone in this.

Thanks

Miriam, mom to Elise (9), Will (5), Seth (3), Emma (in heaven), and little one due 06/17/13

Family Photo

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-27-2012 - 5:25pm
Thank you. It helps to know I am not alone. I will definitely be willing to use medication if that is what I need. I don't think I can handle this level of anxiety all 9 months and from what I am reading that in itself would be harmful to the baby and could have long term effects.

Miriam, mom to Elise (9), Will (5), Seth (3), Emma (in heaven), and little one due 06/17/13

Family Photo

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-27-2012 - 2:19pm

You are not alone! I have had ongoing problems with anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia and depression. I was hit pretty hard with panic disorder when I turned 23 and the agoraphobia got so bad, I hated leaving the house. With therapy and 6 months of meds I was back to "normal." Postpartum with my son, though, I've had problems ongoing. I didn't realize I was having more than usual anxiety because who wouldn't be nervous trying to figure out how to do things with a newborn? I finally went back on medication and agonized over the decision because my son (who is two) is/was still breastfeeding. I am seeing a great psychiatrist now, and have been on zoloft for over a year and was taking xanax as needed (I have awful travel anxiety so it was mostly for that). I am trying to step down off of zoloft for pregnancy, but my psychiatrist was pretty reassuring about the effects on pregnancy. She said zoloft was really very safe for pregnancy, but since I felt very mentally healthy with my last pregnancy, we're trying without. Stepping down is tough. I have a lot of withdrawal. On top of morning sickness, it's been tough. If I had a return of panic attacks though, I would not hesitate to go on them.

It sounds like you do have a lot going on and good reason for anxiety. Don't discount medication. I think the risks associated with SSRIs are probably lower than the risks of not taking good care of yourself (not being able to sleep or having panic attacks). My plan if I'm still feeling alright next month when I should be completely off, is to stay off for the remainder of the pregnancy but go back on immediately postpartum.

So, again, you are not alone! This is a way more common problem than you'd think. (((hugs)))

<