Drinking Alcohol in Early Pregnancy

iVillage Member
Drinking Alcohol in Early Pregnancy
Mon, 10-29-2012 - 2:05pm

A recent study published in the obstetrics and gynecology journal BJOG found that, indeed, women who had two to six drinks per week (or one per day) early in their pregnancy tended to have children with more positive behavior than women who didn’t drink at all.

Read the entire article here- http://www.ivillage.com/can-light-drinking-early-p​regnancy-actually-be-beneficial/6-a-210545?ice=iv...

What do you think? Does this study influence your opinion about drinking during pregnancy?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 10:53am

Yes and I have seen one of my friends who would not listen to me or her mom about drinking at an early stage of the pregnancy.  She loves her beer and voldka but when she first found out she was pregnant and she did not find out until she was past 3 months that she insisted she could enjoy 2 beers everyday.   To make a long story short she had a premie and the baby only weighed at 2 pounds.  He has a lots of problems mentally.  When I knew I wanted to have a baby I made sure I stopped drinking while I was trying to get pregnant because I thought of my friend and you don't always know exactly when you do become pregnant so I was not taking any chances.  Today I have healthy boys.  I look at her son and feel so sorry for him and she even had the nerve to have another child and although her drinking was not as bad with the 2nd child, the 2nd child birth weight was only 5 pounds and mentally not as bad.  I do believe you should not drink even in the early stages of pregnancy.