Dual Flickers and Diabetes

iVillage Member
Dual Flickers and Diabetes
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 12:29am

I found out today that not only do I have dual flickers growing in there, 1 on the Left side and 1 on the Right side, after a very crazy and stressful couple of days (at an us on wednesday the tech found two babies but only 1 hb) that I also have diabetes. That I had diabetes going into this pregnancy. I'm not sure what to do. I'm allergic to FAKE sugar.. UGH

Siggy
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-25-2012 - 7:41am

My last pregnancy was twins and I had horrible Gestational Diabetes.  I had to restrict my diet and take two different types of insulin twice a day.  It sucks, but just do whatever your doctor says and your babies will be healthy!  I also went to see a nutritionist and make sure you are writing down everything you eat from now until then.  She looked at my food journal and corrected a few things that I was doing wrong, but in the end I just couldn't manage it with food, hence the insulin.  I was really upset about it, but I just had to accept it and do what I could to keep those babies healthy.  The up-side to it...more visits (more chances to hear the heartbeats) and more ultrasounds!  

A few tidbits to help maintain your sugar in case you haven't done much research, make sure you eat some form of protein at every meal/snack.  Nuts, peanut butter, turkey/chicken, cottage cheese, eggs, all great sources of protein.  Veggies are unlimited, but watch fruits as well as they have a lot of sugar.  Look up which ones have a low glycemic index.  

Good luck!  I know how hard this can be and it really makes the pregnancy not fun, but just listen to your doctors and I'm sure your babies will be ok!  

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 5:48pm

They are sending me through a program with dieticians and counslers as soon as my insurance clears it. The dr will see me back in 4 weeks and they will be keeping an eye on me. Twins are high risk and Diabetes is high risk, Double high risk, but currently no restrictions. Soon I'm sure I will have all kinds of restrictions

Siggy
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 1:04pm

I'm sorry to hear this! Did you OB set up a plan for you to test and maintain your sugars? I'm thinking that they'll want to see you more often. 

Photobucket