Update on anxiety issues

iVillage Member
Update on anxiety issues
Sun, 11-18-2012 - 9:50pm

Just thought I'd update so anyone who was curious knew what we decided. We actually came home from the doctor with a one month prescription of anti-depressants to try. But before I started them I did a little research and what I found scared me a little. I was not comfortable taking the risks that I saw for the baby if I didn't have to, so we decided to get more information. After talking with a really good friend who is an expert on women's health issues and a counselor, we decided to try to do once a week counseling appointments with a counselor throughout the pregnancy. If that was enough to keep things in check for me than I won't use the anti-depressants until a couple weeks before my due date (to get me stabilized before birth and postpartum depression). I haven't had any more panic attacks so far and things have not been as extreme as they were that one week, so I've been doing ok. I have had one appointment so far, so I can't tell yet how helpful they will be, but as I told my husband, I don't mind having a scheduled hour a week to sit and talk with someone. :)

Miriam, mom to Elise (9), Will (5), Seth (3), Emma (in heaven), and little one due 06/17/13

Family Photo

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2012 - 1:51pm

Glad you have a plan you are comfortable with. I hope it will work so you can avoids meds.

Photobucket