1st appt and 2 u/s later

iVillage Member
1st appt and 2 u/s later
Mon, 11-19-2012 - 10:25am

I had my first appointment last Tuesday and he dated my baby as 8 weeks 1 day.  He said that my due date based on LMP is 6-21 (based on baby it's 6-25) and that I had to have a C-section.  Apparently, my local hospital doesn't perform VBACs and neither does the other hospital in the area.  In order to have a VBAC I'd have to find a doctor an hour away and get to that hospital while in labor.  I really didn't want another C, but I don't want to go that far for a doctor or a hospital, so I guess I'm stuck.  I delivered my first twin son naturally, so it's not like I haven't had the experience, but healing from a C is so much harder and longer.  Just not looking forward to it.  

So, went for bloodwork and another u/s this morning (not sure why I needed another one, but any chance to see my baby  Wink) and they took 10 vials of blood!  I couldn't believe it.  She said that my doctor really likes to "stick his patients".  Guess it's better to test for everything, but still!  Anyways...here's a pic of my LO to bring a smile to your face!

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2012 - 1:57pm

That does bring a smile to my face. Kind of jealous you got another ultrasound. it's crazy how much blood they take. I can't remember how many they took but I remember it was a lot.

Bummer you can't have a VBAC. Did your doctor say why they won't do them? I know some areas are stricter then others on that but I think it should be an option. I wouldn't want to drive an hour either.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2012 - 2:01pm

10 vials!  Wowzers!  That's a lot!  Hopefully you won't have to have that done too often.  Love the picture of your little one!  It's so great seeing all the ultrasound pictures!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2012 - 10:38pm
what a gorgeous u/s pic! Mine are way grainier. That stinks about the vbac! I don't understand why drs/hospitals are so afraid of them :-(
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 11:32am

The area hospitals won't do them because they don't have 24 hr staffing to handle an emergency.  WIth a VBAC there's a 1% chance of uterine rupture and if that happens they only have a couple minutes to get the baby out and get the mother sewn up.  Neither of the area hospitals keep an anesthesiologist (I'm sure I just screwed up that spelling) on staff.  They are on call, but it could take 20 minutes for them to get there.  So, they just don't do VBACs.  I can understand their reasoning, but it still sucks!  

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3