ER visit, but positive results

iVillage Member
ER visit, but positive results
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 10:52am

On Friday I had a VERY scary experience.  I used the restroom and I saw fresh blood when I wiped.  I freaked out and called my OB (who I haven't seen yet) and they told me to go to the ER.  So, DH and I dropped our twins off at a friend's house and headed in.  I gave a urine sample as soon as I got there and just saw a very small amount when I wiped.  Waited about an hour and they took me back to a room.  They took blood and scheduled an u/s. Sonographer came in and tried an external u/s and didn't see anything.  Performed an internal with the screen faced away from me and I finally asked if there was a baby still.  She said that she wanted to wait to tell me anything to see if she could find a heartbeat.  Finally, she said "120 beats per minute, measuring 6 week 3 days" and turned the screen around to show me.  I just about burst into tears!  Waited some more and finally got to see the doctor that said the u/s doesn't show any problems and my HCG numbers were good.  He asked if I wanted an internal exam to make sure the cervix was closed and I said sure.  The NP performed the exam and said everything is looking good.  The only explanation they have is a blood vessel broke for some unknown reason and had stopped bleeding by the time I got there.  I still have restrictions (no intercourse, no heavy lifting) but at that moment my baby was OK.  

Not an experience I want to repeat, but I did want to share that bleeding (even with fresh blood) doesn't necessarily equal miscarriage.  On the plus side, I got to see my baby for the first time!  Smile

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 12:50pm

Hi Robin,

What a very scary experience!  I'm so glad that you were seen so soon and that everything is going well. Hopefully that is the last spotting you'll see during pregnancy!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 2:21pm

Scary but glad everything turned out okay and you got to see your LO. Hope it doesn't happen anymore. DD scared me a few times when I was pregnant with her. I spotted multiple times with her. Luckily none in the first trimester. But it did scare us all and they ended giving me the shot help her lungs mature because they were worried she wanted to come early. And they never did figure out why it kept happening. I was also put on pelvic rest.

Photobucket