super bummed after midwife meeting

iVillage Member
super bummed after midwife meeting
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 6:01pm

So, I paid $70 for a copy of my medical records, got a babysitter for my dr, took the records to my first appointment with the midwife today, sat in the waiting room for half an hour filling out paperwork, did a urine sample only to be called back to the midwife's office and have her tell me that they couldn't accept me as a patient :-( I am *way* *super* bummed. They can't take me on because they feel I'm just slightly too high risk for their practice because of the blood pressure issues I had in my last pregnancy and because my bp has been a little on the high side already this pregnancy. I'm so disappointed. I really want to have a natural child birth and felt like this midwife practice was in synch with what I wanted for my birth experiance. I guess I'll be sticking with my current OB now. I don't dislike them, and I do feel well taken care of there, but their philosophy toward natural birth is that "you're certainly welcome to TRY it". like most OB's. Ugh. Unfortunately, this is really the only midwife practice in my immediate area and even if there were others, I doubt they would take me on if this one wouldn't. I'm just going to hope and pray that my body does what it is supposed to this time around goes into labor on it's own! That way I can labor for as long as possible at home, reducing the likelihood of interventions at the hospital. Good thing didn't cancel my next appointment with my OB which is on Friday.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 8:19am

Oh, no!  I can totally understand why you are frustrated.  I hope your body cooperates this time around and that you are able to have the labor and delivery you desire with your current OB.  Let us know how your appointment goes this Friday!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 12:29pm

I'm sorry!! Can you get a Doula to aid you in your birth at the hospital? I know they are advocates for the birth plan that you want especially for natural birth. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 2:19pm

I second getting a doula. If that's available they would really help towards getting the labor you want.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 11:19pm

yes! my husband and I have already discussed getting a doula. we kinda wish we would have had one the first time around, so I think it's something we will definitely do this time. Just have to figure out where the $$ is going to come from *sigh*

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-06-2012 - 10:56am

I'm sorry that you are bummed and it would just seem to me that they should've been able to pre-screen you without making you pay $70 and go in, but maybe I'm wrong.  I have heard great things from women that had doulas, so if you can afford it I would go that route too.  I know what you are feeling...I felt the same way after being told I have to have a repeat C.  I hope that you get the birthing experience you want this time!!!

Robin

Mom to 2-year old twin boys, Dawson & Devin

TTC #3

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 4:56pm
Thanks, Robin. We actually had to pay my OB the $70 for copies of my medical records to take to the midwife, so, not the midwife's fault. Oh well. My OB is great... just comes from a slightly different starting point on birth than I do. She does listen and try to work with me though. I think it's going to be fine. Especially if we can get the doula :-)