Exercise Is Good For Baby's Brain

iVillage Member
Exercise Is Good For Baby's Brain
Mon, 11-11-2013 - 7:31am

It’s tough to remain motivated to exercise regularly — and even more difficult with the morning sickness, extra weight, and swollen ankles of pregnancy. But moms-to-be might want to lace up their sneakers or don their swim caps. A new study finds that 20 minutes of exercise, three times a week, improves a newborn’s brainpower.

“If this minimal amount of activity had an impact on the brain, it is impressive,” says Dr. Rebecca Starck, the regional director of obstetrics and gynecology at the Cleveland Clinic, who was not involved with the study.

Madelyn Fernstrom, TODAY’s diet and nutrition editor, agrees. “The good news is that moderate activity —brisk walking 3 times a week — seems to have an effect, even right after birth," Fernstrom says.

http://www.today.com/moms/exercise-good-moms-be-babys-brain-study-finds-8C11566374

Very cool news!  Do you exercise regularly?  Have you been able to keep up with it since you've been pregnant?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-13-2013 - 9:55am
I have kept up with my regular workout routine so far. I'm finding that I'm getting winded more easily than before I was pregnant so I may have to scale back a bit, but I'm hoping to keep up with a regular routing throughout my pregnancy.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-19-2013 - 10:58am
Ugh. I really need to get active again. It's so hard keeping up with an exercise routine with 3 kiddos. We take a walk almost daily, so that's something, but I really need to make more of an effort. Thanks for the reminder!