Inlaw stress

iVillage Member
Inlaw stress
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 8:36am

So my inlaws live about 12 hours a way and we might see them once a year.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 8:38pm
Sounds familiar except my inlaws don't consistently work (dfil works part time contracting work for the military) and claim to have no idea how to use technology. My dmil acts like she's a old woman. It makes my dh crazy because he loves his parents and wants them to be grandparents. They love the idea of having grandchildren, but don't seem to love being around the grandchildren. We use to deal with guilt, I finally gave it up after last year and all their travel. If you are going to drive with in two hours of our house three times (six if you count both directions) I am not going to feel guilty about taking the few days we have off and driving 13 hours to see you. I'm done feeling guilty about it. We will go when our family has the resources of time and money to go.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 2:18pm
My ILs live 14 hours away. We get guilted into flying out or driving up to other family parties just so we can see everyone. The ILs flew out here after ds' birth, but they haven't come again since. We have major issues with skype and phone calls. They know how to use their phones and their webcams, but they don't seem to care about seeing or hearing from DH or ds. DH even sees things on fb about one of them staying home from work sick for a week but it's usually after they've returned to work because they didn't bother to call him at all during their time off.
Message me privately if you'd like to join our March FB Group. :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-16-2011 - 5:07pm

I'm sorry to hear that your in-laws never come visit. I love mine, but I can't seem to get rid of them lol (MIL already asked if I needed her to move in with me to take care of the baby)

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 8:51am
I finally changed my expectations last year and gave up guilt about not traveling to see them. We have some other huge responsibilities on our plate and if they can't be bothered to come here, then I won't feel guilty about not going there. This freed me from a lot of stress. I'm just so sad for dh. Our girls ask him when his parents are coming to visit and he looks like he might cry. I always end up answering that they are invited and welcome and we will be so happy when they can come see us. I asked dh on the phone last night if he knew they were going to Scotland and he didn't.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 12:16pm

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 9:46am

I am so sorry to hear that.