Breast Milk?

iVillage Member
Breast Milk?
Sun, 01-01-2012 - 4:51pm

So I'm about 26 weeks (baby #3). I wasn't able to successfully breastfeed my first two, but I was able to pump and supplemented that way for at least the first 3 months.

Today I'm leaking breastmilk! My breasts were tender yesterday, and it's only a few drops, some clear and some milky yellow. Is this normal?!

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 11:46pm
I was curious to read this thread because I couldn't BF with ds. I had three LC's visit me while in the hospital. I was on the internet talking to all my iV board mommies about advice. It just wouldn't work. My guy wouldn't latch or my nipples were too flat. I used a pump and nipple shields. The shields were hard to use during the night feedings, so things got difficult. I pumped and he had BM stored up in my freezer to drink until he hit 3 months. This time, I'm expecting a girl and was hoping for a different mouth shape as dumb as that sounds. My MIL told me DH and his brother couldn't latch for her. So, I was thinking maybe my ds inherited the same issue? Who knows. I just keep hoping and praying that the latch will work or that I'll have more confidence to keep trying. With ds, he was just screaming and crying for food and was over-upset. The latch didn't stand a chance.
Message me privately if you'd like to join our March FB Group. :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 3:14am
I am so so so hopping that because I can already get colostrom and sharp pains that means I'll have a good supply too!!! I didnt make much for my DS and I also had to EP. It sucked!!! For 5 months I was in some major pain for 5-12x a day. So, I know from expience that you are supper woman for pumping for 3 months for your other kids. It is pure torcher and hopefully I am able to nurse this time too.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 8:23pm
Thanks for the input, I feel better knowing I'm not going to go into labor or something! The issue I had with breastfeeding was because of a health issue, which prevented me from being able to nurse on demand, I was only able to pump a few times a day until my supply dissapeared, which is why I only pumped for about 3 months.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 8:01am

Like others said, totally normal! with DS i started leaking around 16 or 18 weeks! I am not sure whats up this time as DS is still nursing once a day, but i'm pretty sure something is coming out for him ;) Thats awesome you pumped for 3 months for

http://4catsandababy.com/
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 7:22am
Just like Dani said it's very normal, you're probably leaking colostrim (sp) its the pre-milk that baby gets before your milk comes in 2-4 days after baby is born. I also agree, way to go pumping for 3 months. I bf'd my other 2 and pumped for when i was at work, and it was a huge commitment to pump all that milk, I found the pumping to be more of a challenge than bfing itself. Also wanted to share that the bfing board here on IV is great when DS was a newborn i went there all the time for help/advice, and i read "So that's what they're for" it's a little preachy, but has great information about pumping and bfing.
pregnancy due date
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-01-2012 - 9:34pm

Yes, it's totally normal to either have some leakage or have none during pg. Neither indicates your ability to breastfeed or not after baby comes.

May I ask what the issues were that prevented you from bf-ing successfully? A lactation consultant, classes, and going to La Leche League meetings can be extremely helpful. But I do also know that sometimes no matter how hard some woman try, they are unable to. Good for you for pumping for the first 3 months though! I'm sure your babies benefitted greatly.

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
My Ovulation Chart

Photobucket

Photobucket
"> PhotobucketPhotobucketLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Photobucket