BTDT: Who's watching your child(ren) while you're in labor?

iVillage Member
BTDT: Who's watching your child(ren) while you're in labor?
Mon, 11-28-2011 - 11:53pm

With my last pg, we scheduled an induction. My son was big, I wanted him born on my bday, my hubby had to request the time off months in advance, and my obgyn was on call that weekend. It was a no brainer.

With this pg, we wanted to have the lo on dh's bday. That was the whole point of TTC. Unfortunately, my cycle didn't line up right for it. His bday is 3/14, and my due date is 3/25. Even with that, we thought we'd schedule an induction to have her sometime around 3/20. My ILs want to fly out here to watch our son and be there when we come home with our daughter from the hospital. Since finding out my girl is measuring smaller (4/1 now), I really don't want to make her come early. And if I can't have her in March to match my DH, I really honestly don't care what day she comes in April. This will also be my last pregnancy, so it would be kinda nice to see how my body goes into labor on it's own.

I'm leaning towards going naturally, and we have no one to watch our son. My parents are both disabled (and divorced). My siblings all work full-time. Even if one of them called off work for the first day, my ILs are also full time workers. They could easily schedule vacation days in advance for my induction, but they couldn't just up and leave their jobs when my water breaks. Last time, I was fully in the hospital for 3 days. I have no one to watch my son for that long.

What have you done in the past or what are you planning to do this time?

Message me privately if you'd like to join our March FB Group. :)

iVillage Member
Well, I'm not a BTDT as having someone watch a kiddo since this is #2. BUT, we are very lucky to have so much family around us. The farther even a brother or sister is from us is only 40 minutes away (15 from the hospital we will be at). So, I havent decided what grandparent will watch DS but we will also be a scheduled induction as my son was so big.

You do what you want on induction or natrually but here's what I'm going through. DS was also large, 9lb5oz. My doc has approved to induce at 39 weeks. This baby is measuring a little behind but yet still above the 50%. This is what DS was measuring also but on time. I thought about waiting and just go on time but I talked to my Mom about it and she reasured me that with the troubles I had recovering from deliver w/ DS, I should go a week early. Even my fundal height was 2 weeks behind but if she is laying funny in there it would be smaller. I am just relying on the fact she will be big no matter what and that going in early is the best thing for me. I don't want to have the 9 month recovery like I did w/ DS again.

I hope that wasnt too rambling!!!!
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
I uderstand my mom is also disabled and isn't able to watch my kids and pets this time. When we had DS (#10 we had a friend stay at our house for 4 days with the dog, i had a planned section with DS, and then with the repeat section for DD my mom and sister watched DS and the animals. This time is going to be complicated. If i have a repeat section this time it will probably be on 3/16 and I'll have MIL during the day and my sister stay overnight since it's the weeksend. If I devide to go for the VBAC, I have no idea what we're gonna do, but we have friends and family close by so I'm hopeful that we'll figure something out, and the bonus there is if I VBAC successfully I'll be home sooner, and not recovering from surgery, so I prob won't need as much help.
pregnancy due date
iVillage Member

not BTDT either, but i totally understand your stress... i don't have ANY family around really. My entire family lives in another country and DH is not close to his, minus his father and he can't take Eirik for a long period because quite honestly Eirik is afraid of him...

http://4catsandababy.com/
iVillage Member
Thanks ladies. I meant BTDT as in, has at least 1 child since the opposite would mean FTM or similar. So, you all fit the bill.

n_jean, sounds like your situation is very similar to mine. My boy's big head caused a lot of damage, and I know if this were another boy it would be scheduled earlier. My brothers were all large (with big heads) at birth. I had a smaller head and was 7lb7oz.. Because of my smaller size, I don't think my girl will be damaging. Thank goodness I still have time to figure this out, but it still is really confusing for who to watch my son or what.
Message me privately if you'd like to join our March FB Group. :)

iVillage Member

Hmmmm...that's tough situation for you. Hope you find someone. I'm sure you will.

As for me, I have 3 teen/young adult kids.....so there's my LO's babysitters. ;)

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
My Ovulation Chart

Photobucket

Photobucket
"> PhotobucketPhotobucketLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Photobucket

iVillage Member

Since I'm not a SAHM, I had DS with his regular babysitter when #2 was born. Now DH is SAHD, and I have a csection scheduled. My mom agreed to watch DS#1 and 2 while we go to the hospital since she can't do anything there anyway, then they'll all come to the hospital to see the baby. Then DH will take the kids home and watch them while I stay in the hospital with the baby.

iVillage Member
With my second dd, my sisters and mom wanted to be in the delivery room and it was wonderful. My dh loved their support and we had done the alone thing with our first dd. I had a friend who was to watch dd who was 2 but I went into labor in the middle of the night on a Saturday and we were living at my parents due to house construction issues. My dad doesn't work on the weekends so we never had to call our friend. We were discharged on Sunday evening, so my entire hospitalization lasted a weekend.

This time, both of my sisters have moved so my mom may have my two dds or we we may call the same friend who was lined up before. I guess I'll start thinking about this soon, but thankfully I have lots of friends in the area who can watch my girls.

These plans get weirdly complicated. I was third in line to watch a friends daughter and didn't imagine that I'd be called but I was. You just never know but my experience is that friends really do help.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I think my MIL will be. DD will be in school during the day. Unless it's a weekend.
iVillage Member

We don't have any family in the area but we are fortunate to have a great nanny/au pair. Last time DS2 was born my labor was during "banker's hours": 8 am to 3:35 pm, so it worked out well (except DH went back home at night to take care of DS1, and the baby was crying all night, I wished DH was there for me but at the same time I was happy he was with our then 1+ y.o.). Hopefully it'll be quick this time around, because consequent births are usually faster and easier, and the kids are older now and are easier to take care of. With DS1 I was in labor for a whopping 43 hours, it was great that at least I did not have anyone else to worry about.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker