First pregnancy- Exhausted and Guilty

iVillage Member
First pregnancy- Exhausted and Guilty
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 7:46pm

I'm pregnant for the first time and I don't remember every being this tired in my life!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 7:53pm
I completely sympathize. Exhaustion is a big part of being pregnant and some women regain their energy and others don't sort of like morning sickness. I am far more tired during this pregnancy than my second but during my first I did little but go to work and sleep. You are growing a baby it is hard work. However, talk to your doctor. How is your iron level? Anemia can make the exhaustion worse. Other dietary issues can make it worse. Mostly, rest. If you are that tired, your body needs rest. I recommend telling your husband that you are sorry but you are exhausted. Telling him that you feel like you aren't doing enough may inspire him to help more. If you don't tell him, he won't guess (as much as we'd like those darling husbands to). Be honest with him and your doctor and take care of yourself. You are not a whiner and you are not alone.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-14-2011 - 10:31pm

I pretty much know how you feel. I'm a small girl with a history of big babies in my family, so I'm having an elephant. LOL. Your body is making a whole new person, it's working it's rear end off! You have to share blood, food, energy, heck even your immune system is confused as to what to do. Even in the second trimester, I'm sick, I'm tired, I'm sleeping 12 hour nights!

First, go to the doctor and check your levels, there might me a dietary problem. Make sure you're taking your prenatals. If you're iron sensitive like me, make sure you're adding a good bit of iron rich foods to your diet. For low blood pressure (I'm not a doctor or anything, this is just stuff I've learned being a health and fitness instructor) make sure you're eliminating caffeine, cholesterol, and 'empty' carbs. Stick with your fruit and vegetable groups, I always loved the old wives tale of 'eating red foods helps the blood', which eating more than just red will do more than help, it can't hurt to have a nice rainbow on your plate :) Your grains contain a complex carb that will actually help with your blood flow and constricting veins, so eat brown rice, whole wheat, oatmeal, things like that. And because I'm a home remedy type of gal, onions and garlic are literally the most magical foods to be put on this earth. Also, fruits like lemons and pineapples are good for strengthening the blood vessels and hyping up your organs, making sure blood gets to them. Again, take this with a grain of salt, I don't have a degree in this stuff, your doctor and nutritionist do.

To kind of help with the fatigue, try opening some windows in your house, or the blinds, let some light in. It has been proven that our bodies will function according to natural light, which is why alarms and turning on the bedroom light doesn't really help you wake up all that well. Go for a (short) walk outside, even if its just going to check the mail, or walking around once in your yard. Again, outside stimulation gives you energy. Do a few stretches, kind of warming your body up (but not making your heart race), not only is it good for your pregnancy in general, but for your circulation and to uncramp muscles, which aid in the exhausted feeling. It's amazing how our bodies are still in tune to our natural habitat and our instincts.

Have you talked to your job about this? Sometimes it's important for your health to not have to work too hard. Talk to your doctor, talk to your boss, see what can be done. Don't ever feel guilty for how you feel, it's pregnancy, and being this is your first pregnancy, it seems to feel worse. Our bodies have never done this before and then all of a sudden, it has to stop whatever it was doing in a normal routine and completely alter the way it works. Husbands are there to take care of us and their babies, it's natural. It sucks he has to do alot more than you expect him, but he will learn once that baby comes that he has contributed much more than clean dishes and floors.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 8:03am

i'm so sorry... i totally understand! i feel guilty too... my husband thankfully has been pretty understanding but i feel guilty because I know things have been slacking!

Have you had your doctor test your iron levels and your thyroid and vitamin D? All of those can cause serious exhaustion issues! I remember with DS they discovered i was pretty anemic and once i took extra iron it really helped!

Photobucket
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
pregnancy
http://4catsandababy.com/

http://4catsandababy.com/
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 6:27pm
Thank you for your kind words! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 6:28pm
Thank you Ashley. These are all really great suggestions.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 6:34pm
Thank you! It's interesting you brought up vitamin D... before I got pregnant I was in the process of being officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and one of the things that my doctor found was that I have a vitamin D deficiency. I stopped taking my supplement when I got pregnant because it was a pretty high dose and there were mixed reviews about whether or not it could be bad for the baby. I definitely think I should revisit this with my midwife. I had attributed my pain to the deficiency, but not the energy level. Ironically, I have always had very high iron levels naturally, so what with my prenatal vitamin I don't believe that could be it... though I suppose it can't hurt to ask. Thanks again for your fresh point of view.