A little scared from blood work results

iVillage Member
A little scared from blood work results
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 11:11am

I got a call from my doc yesterday telling me that my blood work showed that my RBCs are being destroyed and sent me in this AM for additional blood work and has refered me to a Hemotologist to evaluate me for Hemolytic Anemia.

I've always been anemic I always get the anemic call after blood work and have to take iron pills and what not but this a bit more serious and my doc seemed concerned (especially since I'm pregnant). Also, this is my third pregnancy and nothing like this showed up before.

Anyway, I'm just a little scared and was wondering if anyone from the group has any experience with this kind of thing.

Raquel

Daisypath - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 1:29pm

I am not familiar with this but hope it is easily treatable once they have the answer.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 2:35pm

I can't say I have experience with this, but I'm sure it's something that can be controlled with extra

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 4:12pm

I'm sorry to hear this and you must be scared. I dont have personal experience with this, but I'm a physician (Internal Medicine) and have seen pregnant patients with autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Usually, the treatment is oral steroids (like prednisone) and it doesn't affect the baby with close monitoring. It's good that you're seeing a hematologist.