Oups silly me...I meant to change the subject to VBA2C but can't seem to figure out how to edit...I really need to snooze I think....sorry!
I don't know how much advice I can offer... but i'll give it a shot! I'm a VBAC this time, but i've only had one... but I know other women who have had a natural birth after 2 or even 3 sections!
Thanks Emma...what great advice, i'll get to reading this over the weekend to prepare questions!
Would it be rude of me to ask why you had a section your first time around?
I don't mind sharing at all!
Wow...it's awful how people in offices making technically educated decisions can have such disastrous consequences on us...why are they so against hb?
Thankfully in the state i am in homebirth is not illega, however there are some states in the US where it is! If you have a home birth you are investigated by child protective services! Every state has their own rules about what is "legal". In Maryland where i am a CNM can legally perform a homebirth however they have strict criteria. In some states they recongize a CPM... the difference is that a CPM usually has learned more through apprentaship while a CNM has gone to nursing school first. both CPMs and CNMs must take tests and are held to standards... it just depends on if your state will reocnigze both or not.
I was thinking the very same thing...I remember taking notes at my six wks post c/s appt and I still have them...but I'd like to have the complete file..don't know if they will release it though...there was an issue with the cathether...I didn't progress from 1am to 5h30am (the last stretch), contraction weren't working well...I stayed at 5cm 90%...and that's when they started talking about a c/s...I remember one nurse fussing two or three times during the 4.5hr period with the urine bag but they weren't telling us about it so we figured it was nothing (since they kept us very well informed of potential and present issues that were important) yet once I was on the table, soon after cutting, the doc let out an exasperated bleep worthy series of sounds...my bladder was full to capacity and needed three huge seringes to bring is to a relative level and a nurse/assistant had to crawl under the table to fix the cathether...I always wondered if that wasn't just the very thing that caused the failure to progress...Tristan was doing his thing...he was pushing against my cervix like a champ...he was ready to move...had a cony head when he came out to prove it too! And I remember reading in labour notes that peeing frequently was a key trick to helping contrx be more efficient...they have been efficient enough up till then to get me to 5cm inspite of the adrenalin, stress, come right out of nowhere your baby needs to come out now scenario we faced...but perhaps the end result would have been the same...I was nearing 35 hours of labour when we hit 5h30 so they might have suggestions a section on account of the pre-e complications that were soaring...but then in the 4.5 hrs I could have maybe made it to 7, 8, 9 cm and by then would have been in a great position to hold off for the last cms and push...or not who knows...that's what has me really wanting to go for a trial labour this time around...there is a chance it wasn't my body not cooperating, even if it was 35 wks and not anywhere near 40 wks I did get to 5cm and 90% which I gather from readings isn't bad for a first time induction at that stage...who knows...
What bugs me most however is the comments that were given during prep for Oli's birth...a few wks before the serious serious circulation complication occured...they kept saying: well last time you were in labour for over 35hrs and it didn't work...there are good reasons to think the outcome would be the same this time around too and you'll ultimately need a c/s...that was a key reason I went for the repeat section...once the placental circ issues were declared, I figured it would be risky putting Oli through labour potentially uselessly especially since he'd need to be subjected to a section afterwards so I went straight to the or....ok so that's a big long vent...I need to stop cause I get all riled up when I think too much about the specific details...
I'm filing both experiences at that, experience...both births were not ideal in theory but they brought my perfectly healthy boys...so in practice they were perfect!
I would def. talk to your doc about it now. That way you guys can get a plan in order. I really dont have any suggestions as I have only had one and he was natrual. At least you know that you gave it your all if you end up having to do another c/s. You will not continually ask yourself.. 'what if?' As far as bringing it up to your doctor, just say "I've been thinking of VBAC, what is your opinion on this for me?" Just see where that takes you guys. Explain yourself and your reasoning, I cant imagin anyone not wanting to help you in going for your goal. Good luck and let us know what your doctor tells you.