Is anybody else feeling guilty about their diet?

iVillage Member
Is anybody else feeling guilty about their diet?
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 12:19am

This is my second pregnancy, and i must admit on the first one I was a health diet freak.

Especially during the first 2 trimesters. Lots of veg and fruit, fish, everything home cooked, organic, plenty of juices and water.

this time round, I find my self being able to eat very little, due to MS that lasts 24 hours a day. And some of the things I eat are take aways (pasta for example), or I actually drink 1 glass of pepsi sometimes even 2 a day (some none).

I didn't use to eat like this last time I was pregnant, and i can't help but feeling that I'm doing harm to the little one...am I?

Is everybody else having sodas and things like that?

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
iVillage Member

Hi there.

Im in a similar position. I'm too sick to keep down much and when I do keep down food its very odd food. Salt and Vinegar chips, rice crackers and watered down juice. And i've not been taking pre-natal vitamins. Can't keep them down.

I just figure that when i can, i'll improve my diet. When the HG goes then I'll get back to my usual way of eating. I don't drink Soda usually. Far too much sugar for me but i've found that frozen Coke helps the HG and M/S. So, i've had a few of those. 

Don't feel too bad, I'm sure you'll eat better when you can.

Candice

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
I have been eating horribly and it's all due to the nausea. Im on Zofran now but I still have a hard time preparing food so I eat a lot of take out. I have gained 6 pounds already and Im already overweight so Im definitely worried. Im just hoping that I feel better soon and can get back to healthy eating. I havr such a hard time right now with healthy foods. Veggies and some fruits are hard to digest!
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 10:24am

With my first pregnancy I ate very healthy. Eliminated my addiction to soda and kept my sugar intake low.  I also made sure I didn't eat any tuna, lunch meat, soft serve icecream, or anything else that I heard might have a SLIGHT risk to the baby.  By the time I got to my 3rd pregnancy I ate completely different.  Ate everything and anything!  I've had perfectly healthy pregnancies (thank God).  I'm now on my 4th pregnancy and just finished eating my breakfast.  6 scrambled egg whites with onions, and a can of Coke.  lol.  I don't feel guilty for drinking my daily soda because I keep it at a limit.  I drink a can a day...sometimes a little more if I'm going to dinner with my husband.  I try my best to eat my fruit and veggies during the day but lately I can handle only dull foods like carbs.  Once we get into our 2nd trimesters I'm sure we'll be able to control more of what we're eating. 

Take it easy and don't worry too much.  Just balance out the bad foods with the good!  And try to keep those prenatals down.

-Kim

iVillage Member
I have little to no appetite so I eat whatever sounds good so that I am at least eating. The one good thing I've been able to eat is fruit so I'm doing that every day. I have soda when I work (mon & fri) to keep me awake!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thanks for the responses everyone...good to know i'm not the only one.
I do hope that it'll get batter as time goes by...for now, i just eat extremely little and it worries me. I hope my apetite will go up.
I was expecting to have lost weight to be honest, but no, i'm the same as when i got pregnant 10 weeks ago...
good luck to all....
iVillage Member

Don't worry too much about your diet right now with m/s.  A good friend who has two beautiful little ones told me that I need to be more worried about getting enough calories to stay in right now than to worry about eating absolutely healthy.  I tried to eat really healthy foods...that lasted until I started getting m/s - now I'll eat whatever I can get to stay down.  If that's a McDonald's smoothie and saltines at lunch, so be it. ;-)  I have been lucky that fruits are still ok and almond butter has been a godsend since pb is my fave (even more than chocolate), but it's on the list of evil foods right now.  On really bad days, I try to stick with BRATs foods (banana, rice, applesauce, toast), but skip applesauce at the moment because I'm worried about it upsetting my tummy more.  I've also been living on Sprite the past 2 weeks - water comes right back up.  I was down to 1 caffeinated soda a day, but Pepsi (my soda of choice) tastes gross at the moment - thankfully the Sprite is caffeine free!  Another friend who is a med student and 8 months pg said that she was told not to worry too much about the amount of caffeine she was intaking with coke being the only thing that she could get to calm her m/s.

Hang in there!  Hope you get to feeling more like yourself soon! :-)

Picture1
iVillage Member

I'm with you. I'm always nauseous...ALWAYS. So I have to force myself to eat, but complete meals just sound horrible to me right now. So I'm usually just snacking...on whatever sounds good at that moment....cheese, ritz crackers, yogurt, sherbert, cereal, etc. I do feel like I'm not taking in enough "nutrients" for my baby. As for soda...I would LOVE one, but gave them up do to a UTI.

iVillage Member
Yeah, I get vitamins...not sure if they have fish oil though.
I know babies will take what they need.
What makes me feel guilty is that if what I eat is unhealthy, then maybe I'm not helping my baby develop in the best possible way, with good healthy nutrients, rather than sugary soda and pasta all the time....not to mention the take aways, god know what's in them and how they cook them.
Weekend just gone was a nightmare, i could barely keep anything down.
So strange, in my first pregnancy I had none of this...you could barely tell I was pregnant, apart from the constant sleepiness!