BTDT Mom's...can you list baby items that you received in the past that ended up being a big waste?

iVillage Member
BTDT Mom's...can you list baby items that you received in the past that ended up being a big waste?
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 9:13am

It's funny....I ask this because my Mom has been so excited to go buy SOMETHING for this baby but since we don't know the gender she has been holding off.  Well she finally picked up a Diaper Genie.  To be honest, it's the one item that I really disliked in the past.  I thought it was so stinky and just bagged the dirty diapers and tossed them.  I don't have the heart to tell her so I'm keeping it.  My last son was born 10 years ago and my cousin has a new little one and said that she LOVES hers....no smell so we shall see.

The baby swing was another waste.  My kids hated it....although....they now swing side to side which looks better.  The older swings went front to back.  I don't see myself running out to get one but if we receive one as a gift we'll probably try it out with the side to side motion.

So anyone else have items that just didn't work for them?

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member

I agree with you about the diaper pail!  I hated mine, and ended up getting rid of it.  I also didn't really use the baby tub.  It was so big and a pain to store.  I'm trying to remember all the other things that I NEEDED to have.  I had a wipe warmer for a little bit too, and I got rid of that.  I LOVED my baby swing.  I had the kind that swung front to back and side to side.  My kids all loved it.  By the time the 3rd came the older two would lay on her and push her while in the swing.... so I packed up the swing and invested in a decent bouncey seat that they couldn't knock her out of.

iVillage Member

Diaper genie was one of them. I still smelt the diapers and just ended up walking them out of the house which wasn't too big of a pain. I never used a big clunky diaper bag either. I know my playpen just ended up a big storage for toys though I think I did use it with my first for the first 2 months. My kids were so-so on the swings but both loved their bouncey chairs.

iVillage Member

I agree with the changing table -- I never had one - I always spread a towel or a blanket on whatever surface was handy and changed the kids there...although I did have a bassinet with ds (#2) and when he was too old to use it for sleeping I did use it for changing him just cause it fit in his room without issues....when we moved it didn't move with us though.

A friend of mine bought the mat for the changing table and just stored it under her sofa and changed her kids on the floor in the living room.

I don't understand the swaddling items on the market today....I used receiving blankets to "burittoitize" (it's the term my ex used to describe the way the baby was wrapped) my first two and the receiving blankets were multi-functional.

I did like the baskets for washing the small bottle pieces in the dishwasher though. 

I had received a sample sized can of powdered formula when my kids were born -- I kept it and refilled it as needed to keep in the diaper bag as it was the perfect size and it meant I didn't need to buy the plastic containers for that purpose.

My ex MIL loaned me a rocking cradle with dd (#1)....fortunately it was just loaned since dd hated it -- she would not sleep in anything that moved.

For my kds the bouncy seats were unnecesary as they loved sitting in their infant car seat on the floor and when they were fussy I just had to use my foot to nudge the car seat into rocking and they were content.

baby laundry detergent-- used it with my kids for the first couple of months and then started washing their clothes in with the rest of the families.

Baby bathtubs.....had one for my dd but found using the kitchen sink lined with a full size bathtowel worked so much better and It was easier to control the temp of the water in the sink.

Lisa

iVillage Member

Totally agree about the wipes warmer being a waste.  I also rarely used my changing table.  Our bouncy seat was a BIG hit though!  My boys loved it.  Never used bottle sterilizers or bottle racks.  I stored my bottles in a cabinet as well.  

BabyName Ticker