First ultrasound not until 18 weeks?!?!?!

iVillage Member
First ultrasound not until 18 weeks?!?!?!
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 11:51am

So I had my head to toe the the other day, and asked when the first ultrasound would be. Most people I know had one done within the first trimester, even if they weren't high risk and knew their dates. Well she said typically it is not done until 18 weeks!! This is crazy to me! I am 9 weeks along as of today and I can't fathom waiting more than another two months!! I think that is absolutely ridiculous. I don't just want one so I can simply see the baby, I want reassurance that everything is coming along as it should. How is it even morally right to wait until 5 months in for the mother to know that everything is fine or not? At that point if there was something seriously wrong, abnormalities etc, that doesn't leave the parents much option as what to do, who would want to terminate that far along?? I always said I am pro-choice, and I  still am, however if I found out something was seriosuly wrong with my baby that far along there is no way I could terminate. I just don't understand. She said they would only do one earlier if we weren't sure of my dates or there was a medical reason. Well I am 4'9 and only 82lbs. To me thats enough of a medical reason as all doctors I've spoken to about being pregnant said they would have to really monitor the size of the baby. How can I recieve one sooner? There is no way Iam waiting another 9 weeks. Absolutely absurd!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 5:55pm
If i were you I wouldn't wait...
At week 12 you should have your Nuchal translucency screening.
It's a very important screening that shouldn't be missed.

In my previous pregnancy I was in the UK and during this pregnancy I'm in Greece and in both countries, it's one of the most important screenings you can have, but it has to be done on weeks 12-13, no later, no sooner.

If you have the option to do it somehow, I would advise you to go for it. On one hand, you'll get to see your beautiful baby, on the other hand, the doctor will make sure your baby is OK, both of which you need to put your head to rest...good luck with it all, hope you can find a way to see your little one sooner.

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 9:24pm

Thanks for the replies. From people I've spoken to, co-workers, friends etc, it seems most if not all have had an ultrasound done within the first trimester, high risk or not. But I am confused, as I live in BC , and from the research I've done I guess in canada 18-20 weeks is considered the norm in low risk pregnancies. So I don't know how others managed to have earlier ultrasounds. Waiting that long just is not something that sits well with me and I am very uncomfortable with it. I phoned another clinic we have in town this morning, asking about switching to them for the rest of my prenatal care and they said thats fine, come in for my appt next month, as I am not happy with my current doctor. When I go to this new clinic I will ask them and bring it up. Hopefully they will give me a different answer, and even if they don't they are probably more approachable than the Dr I have now so I won't hesitate about how I really feel waiting that long. Like I said, its not so I can simply just see the baby, I don't need visual confirmation. I need peace of mind that things are progessing well. As far as I am concerned they can't tell me things are normal until they see the baby on screen.Last time I checked doctors did not have xray vision to see through into my uterus and tell me baby is perfectly normal! So the sooner the better. I know at 9 weeks there probably isn't a whole lot to see detail wise but even if I had one at 12 weeks or 14 even, I'd feel better than waiting another 9 weeks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 9:40pm
Yup, that is totally normal for low risk pregnancies. I only had an earlier one with my 1st because I was in the hospital for dehydration in my 1st tri and they wanted to make sure she was ok. With my 2nd and 3rd I only had the 18-20 week one. Actually with my 2nd, my midwife had an u/s machine so I did get one other peek around 32 weeks but that was not diagnostic, more just for fun. This time around my midwife also has a machine but she isn't really trained on it so it's more just for fun as well. I did get a peek at 7 weeks because it was still too early to pick up a heartbeat on the doppler but we could see it with the u/s and she wanted to practice.

But yeah, most normal pregnancies only have the one u/s around 20weeks.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 9:46pm
Oh, and I am in the US.

They will be able to listen to the heartbeat earlier than your 18-20w U/S and also measure your fundal height (uterus) to make sure things are progressing as they should. Plus they will have you pee in a cup to test for glucose, ascorbic acid and protein each visit. As long as all of that is normal, there is really no need for an U/S. I know your healthcare there is different than here, but I wouldn't think it would be covered unless medically indicated, so you might have to pay out of pocket for extra ones.

Oh, and regarding the nuchal translucency and all the other screenings, I never did them because the rate of false positives is high and I didn't want the stress of worrying over something especially since it would not affect my decision to move forward with the pregnancy.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 3:15am
I went through that with my first pregnancy. Apparently, military insurance at that time only covered one u/s so they weren't going to do one until 20wks. I had to pay out of pocket to have one at 13wks. Made me feel so much better and gave us pics which we used to surprise our families. Hope you get a better answer with your new doctor!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:16am

Luckily any and all medical care, that wouldn't normally be covered by the canadian government, will be covered through my partner's benefits. I am fully 100% covered for anything and everything. Even cosmetic dentistry....so I doubt I would have to pay to have one, plus I heard its only like $65 anyways. which is pennies. I guess because I am so small I need that extra reassurance, the doctors even said my size is somewhat of a complication so i was expecting an U/S sooner than normal. Yet the Doctor the other day expects me to sail through pregnancy since I've had little to no symptoms so far at 9 weeks, aside from the odd queasy day. Can't see how that is a predictor for the next 7/6 months but I like her thinking lol Hopefully like I said the other clinic will offer one, and if not I will express how uncomfortable and ludacris I think it is to wait another 9 weeks. Personally I think it isjust a cheap way for the canadian government to save a few bucks. I know alot of women just want one for s**** and giggles to see the baby, but that not my reasoning behind it!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:03pm
hello,
I am from Canada, Ontario, and the screening done at 12 weeks in Canada is your choice, not manadatory, I get it every pregnancy, get to see my baby and find out everything is ok. There is blood work the day of and week or so after that goes with it. I would call your doctor, tell them you want the genetic screening done at 12 weeks and ask for the requisition, otherwise you do wait to 18-20 weeks.
Photobucket